Over clocking an i5 6600k

Agent Smith

My main game is FSX. Proc does use turbo boost at 3.9 GHz. If I over clock to 4.5 which is only a 600 MHz bump, what kind of increase in performance single threaded wise are we looking at? Me thinks nothing at all.

beers

Staff member
Theoretically ~15%

Clock speed gains don't always give linear performance due to other subsystems but it should benchmark somewhere around there

Geoff

VIP Member
The i5 6600K @ 3.9GHz is a pretty beefy CPU. Perhaps you should look at upgrading/overlocking your low end 560 TI first.

Agent Smith

Perhaps you should look at upgrading/overlocking your low end 560 TI first.

I'm actually just going to replace it with a GTX 1060. FSX is a CPU orientated game. Works really well with what I got now and I'm quite happy, but I debated at whether I should buy the 3600 MHz RAM I was going to get and OC. Not sure if I want to spend the $200 on RAM.

JLuchinski

I'm actually just going to replace it with a GTX 1060. FSX is a CPU orientated game. Works really well with what I got now and I'm quite happy, but I debated at whether I should buy the 3600 MHz RAM I was going to get and OC. Not sure if I want to spend the $200 on RAM.

Darren

Staff member
This is a really good video from Linus, a lot of his stuff seems to kinda gloss over the nitty gritty technical stuff but this is definitely a good video to consider.

That said I just went from 2133>2933 (soon to be 3200) RAM and it's noticeable.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yeah 3000-3200 is around the max you'll want to go right now. Any higher and you're just chasing numbers.

Geoff

VIP Member
This is a really good video from Linus, a lot of his stuff seems to kinda gloss over the nitty gritty technical stuff but this is definitely a good video to consider.

That said I just went from 2133>2933 (soon to be 3200) RAM and it's noticeable.
What's a shame that I found out was on the Z170 boards, you can't run pass DDR4-2133 when you have all 4 DIMMS filled :(

Darren

Staff member
What's a shame that I found out was on the Z170 boards, you can't run pass DDR4-2133 when you have all 4 DIMMS filled :(
That's super lame. I know AM4 boards can't run at as high of speeds with 4 slots versus 2 but still able to usually do 2400MHz with all 4. Also keeps getting better with BIOS updates and varies from board to board.

Is Z270 any better?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using all 4 slots has always had its problems though. Older boards needed a voltage increase to even make it boot with all 4 slots filled.

beers

Staff member
They aren't really related, CPU multi is separate from RAM divider. They both get their net result frequency by multiplying off of the bus speed. If you're bus overclocking it's possible to get a higher net frequency than some memory modules support, but modern day multi overclocking doesn't depend on RAM at all. A lot of times you'll actually see better overclocks on the edge by turning the RAM down a little bit.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea overclocking nowadays are less RAM dependent. You might be able to squeeze more stability by bumping up chipset voltages.