Overclock Ballistix Ram?

Smolt

I have 2x4gb hyperx ddr3 1866 ram in my system. I want to know if i can plug in 2x4gb ballistix ddr3 1600 sport ram that i have and overclock it to 1866. People have said that it's easy to overclock it to 2000, so can i overclock to 1866? I would also like to know how and if it's stable. I have an asus b85m-g micro atx motherboard and an i5-4590 processor.

Intel_man

VIP Member
ram that isn't rated at 1866 out of the box is a hit out a miss when it comes to overclocking it to meet the 1866 mark.

Also, your motherboard doesn't support ram that goes to 1866mhz. The B85 chipset doesn't support overclocking of the RAM.

Smolt

Currently 1866 is running in it, so i assume that it downclocked? and if so can i just plug in 1600?

Intel_man

VIP Member
I wouldn't mix & match ram due to the potential timing differences between them. You might want to grab a pack of 4x4gb DDR3-1600 though since that should be the maximum speed of ram your motherboard supports.

Smolt

is there some way to fix/monitor or whatever this, because I am not able to purchase a pack as of now.

Smolt

after all this, i realize that the ram is in the wrong packaging and is actually 2x2gb ddr3 1333 ram sticks. judging by the fact that the company that i have never heard of, micron, and the rest. There is no way this will run in my system, and even if it did, it wont make a difference. So thank you for your time Intel_man.

Geoff

VIP Member
after all this, i realize that the ram is in the wrong packaging and is actually 2x2gb ddr3 1333 ram sticks. judging by the fact that the company that i have never heard of, micron, and the rest. There is no way this will run in my system, and even if it did, it wont make a difference. So thank you for your time Intel_man.
What does the RAM say on the label on the modules themselves?

Smolt

This is the actual ram:
What the box said:

****** links removed by johnb35

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just save the photos to your pc and click on upload a file in your post to add the photos to your post. Those links ask you to download and install software.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
no they dont, its a shortener, click skip ad.

Doesn't matter, I use an ablocker. I have to disable it in order to even skip the ad to view your file. It would have been simpler to upload the file to your post so noone even had to go to an ad site so you could get paid.

beers

Staff member
Just use imgur. Direct links, no ads.

Otherwise, why not just get the same spec hyperx kit if you need more RAM to begin with?