Overclock Goals Questions

Stildawn

Im gonna overclock my new rig new week (after Ive flipped around the HSF lol)

Gonna use this article I found as a guide as its from AMD itself and basically using the exact same hardware as I have.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/

Just a questions at the start of the article at step 1

Step 1 - Figure out your goals, small increase or one shot big gain? Power efficiency, is it important? Going for a full system max overclcok? Find the limits?

Is says small increase or one shot big gain.... now what does this mean? Like Im basically asking is it safe for me to go straight in and make my multiplier 20 x 200 = 4ghz (which is my target) straight off and see if it works?

Will it damage the chip in anyway to just straight out do this jump?

Do chips seem to get a higher stable overclock if you do it slowly?

Or is that just the way you "find" it, by doing it slowly?

Cheers

CardboardSword

I've wondered this myself sometimes, and while pretty much all guides say go slowly, they also usually say that the only thing that will actually damage your CPU is higher voltages. I think the main advantage to going slowly is being able to find the EXACT point your CPU can handle at a given voltage, and if youre toying with voltage, that is most definitely an area to go slowly in, but from my relatively uninformed POV, I don't see a whole lot of harm in it, so long as they aren't MASSIVE jumps.

Stildawn

So if I go from 16x200 to 20x200? Thats not a voltage change lol? Should be sweet (might not work but should be sweet lol)

bomberboysk

So if I go from 16x200 to 20x200? Thats not a voltage change lol? Should be sweet (might not work but should be sweet lol)

Go one multi/half multi at a time, since its gonna be going 200mhz per multi. Run prime95 for an hour or two each step, and if it fails, bump up voltage til it doesnt fail, your going to have to add voltage if you wanna even get near 4Ghz.

Stildawn

Lol ok... Ive got a plan to go by when I get round to it (kinda busy at the moment lol) was just wondering if a big step will fry it lol.

Stildawn

Mint lol so no harm.. Makes me feel safer haha.

Also BIOS resetting? Does that delete your BIOS update? Cause without my BIOS update on my board, my CPU doesnt work lol.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Post 4 is the best way to go about it. You want to bump it up with the least amount of voltage as as you go and stable. I've even done it over a 2 or 3 day time period and seemed to get a better overclock compared to just ramping it up all at once.

No it doesnt delete the update, restting your Bios only sets everything back to default.

Last edited:

oregon

I think spending alot of time on overclocking is way more work than its worth. I have only overclocked one processor, my current e6550, but when I began I kicked it way up to 3.5 with four extra voltage notches. This was mostly fine but would crash under load. Then I brought it down to 3.35, and haven't done much since. It works well with the small amount of voltage and the extra frequency probably does speed things up. I could probably get it a bit faster, but I really don't think the time it takes is worth the marginal gain.

So I say go for the big jump then just approximate. Hours of stress testing is NOT worth it.

mikesrex

I generally try one big jump to the desired speed that is "reasonable" and then incrementally go up from there.

For instance, the i7-920 is known to be pretty easily clocked to 4.2 GHz on air with a decent cooler, so that's where I start. Upon figuring out what settings are best for this clock speed, I incrementally speed it up some more until I get to whatever I think is a good stopping point.

oregon

Not picking on you, but I think that says it all.

Now that I think about it, I actually did overclock my Pentium D, so make that two.

Really though, why bother with all the fiddling? Why not just google how high people are overclocking with similar hardware, then shoot for that, or perhaps a bit below. Surely that is better than going incrementally.