Hey, I was wondering if it is possible to overclock my hp omen, I have:
12gb ram
GTX 965m
i7-6700hq
(What are the safe values if possible)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OEM laptops such as yours are usually locked down and can't be overclocked. Usually high end gaming laptops are the ones that can be overclocked.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No I mean higher priced laptops like 1500 bucks or more. Look into sager laptops for over clocking ability. Hp's are terrible for heat dissipation and would overheat.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Being an HP you likely have zero BIOS options for increasing the clock speed.

beers

Staff member
Those are GPU specific. You won't have any CPU specific options.

Safe values vary, usually you can test stability yourself. Generally not recommended.

mistersprinkles

Thermals are not your friend for laptop OC's. Not worth it. Long ago in a galaxy far away when we still had FSB's on our machines, you could pump up the FSB pretty high and lower the CPU multiplier (to keep CPU speed near stock) while not touching any CPU voltages too much and end up with a faster machine without killing the thermal envelope but those days are dead.

beers

Staff member
Who cares about FSB when the memory controller and PCIE lanes are directly on the CPU die :p

That was more of a 'make it suck less' than 'improve potential performance' situation.

Darren

Staff member
Don't bother, you're only going to increase temps pretty quickly and your performance not even noticeably. Those HP's in particular aren't the best for cooling, you're asking for trouble by doing it with no real gain.