Overclocking and keeping it permanently

The VCR King

I have tooled around with overclocking my 1090T with AMD OverDrive. Stock, my CPU is at 3.5ghz. I know in turbo mode I can take it up to 4.2, but I'd prefer not to catch my rig on fire.

I played with the different speeds and stuff and I figured out that I really like the performance when I gently bump it to 3.8ghz. However when I close OverDrive it resets back to 3.5

So when I bring it to 3.8 I need to keep OverDrive open until I'm done playing my game then I can exit it and bring it back to stock.

However, how can I keep it permanantly overclocked at 3.8?

beers

Staff member
Set it in BIOS.

Also it's not 'permanent' as the settings sit in CMOS. If you clear CMOS you lose the settings.

The VCR King

Set it in BIOS.

Also it's not 'permanent' as the settings sit in CMOS. If you clear CMOS you lose the settings.
As we have discussed before, and @Darren can back me up on it, my motherboard's splash screen goes into booting so quick that I can't get into my BIOS.

And the only time I ever cleared my CMOS is when the motherboard battery died

Darren

Staff member
As we have discussed before, and @Darren can back me up on it, my motherboard's splash screen goes into booting so quick that I can't get into my BIOS.

Unless you lose the friggin MSI utility that I and many others have told you about repeatedly.

The VCR King

Unless you lose the friggin MSI utility that I and many others have told you about repeatedly.
I gave it a try actually. I had it on an install CD from the previous owner of the rig. It did NOT work for me. When I'd click anything in the utility it would freeze then appcrash on me.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Is it a UEFI BIOS? If so, you can access your BIOS via getting into Windows 10 first, but since you don't have Windows 10...

Get going with upgrading to Windows 10. There's literally 0 reasons not to at this point. Don't be part of the tin foil hat community.

Jiniix

Have you seen the amount of data MS collects? The Basic level is 90% of the Full level, and it's full of personally identifiable data :)
But enough about that, VCR King, unplug all your disks and you should be able to boot in to the BIOS. There you can most likely configure the time you have to enter BIOS in the future.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Have you seen the amount of data MS collects? The Basic level is 90% of the Full level, and it's full of personally identifiable data :)
If you're worried about anyone collecting data on you, get off the internet. MS gets a lot of flak for data collection, yet has anyone actually seen how much data Google collects?

beers

Staff member
unplug all your disks and you should be able to boot in to the BIOS
Was going to suggest this or manually clearing CMOS, more often than not this will generate a hang type of 'error' where it will prompt you to go into the menu.

Also, spamming the crap out of the DEL key right after the POST beep generally gives a high degree of success in non-UEFI builds, but I'm sure you've tried that.

Some older builds would not go into BIOS via keypress on a USB keyboard (think PS/2) unless 'legacy USB' was enabled, but I only remember that from the socket A days.

Geoff

VIP Member

Read the motherboard manual, find out what button you need to push to enter BIOS, and keep pressing it from the moment your PC powers up until you see the BIOS. It's not uncommon for monitors to be slow at detecting the video signal and coming out of sleep mode after the splash screen is gone. If that doesn't work, then it could be that your keyboard isn't being recognized early enough.

Darren

Staff member
Read the motherboard manual, find out what button you need to push to enter BIOS, and keep pressing it from the moment your PC powers up until you see the BIOS. It's not uncommon for monitors to be slow at detecting the video signal and coming out of sleep mode after the splash screen is gone. If that doesn't work, then it could be that your keyboard isn't being recognized early enough.
I can understand not believing him but come on. It. Is. Impossible.

My new Asrock UEFI BIOS even says outright you can't use the KB for entering BIOS with Ultra Fast boot on. This MSI BIOS is the same way, used an MSI 970 board for a few years and it's impossible. If it doesn't load the keyboard driver or even give it power before it initiates loading Windows how do you expect it to ever work? My KB has lights, it didn't power on until after Windows loading began on my MSI board. Spam all you want you ain't getting in.

Alternatively shorting CMOS header or pulling the battery will make it load defaults and you can disable fast boot so we don't keep having this argument.

The VCR King

I can understand not believing him but come on. It. Is. Impossible.

My new Asrock UEFI BIOS even says outright you can't use the KB for entering BIOS with Ultra Fast boot on. This MSI BIOS is the same way, used an MSI 970 board for a few years and it's impossible. If it doesn't load the keyboard driver or even give it power before it initiates loading Windows how do you expect it to ever work? My KB has lights, it didn't power on until after Windows loading began on my MSI board. Spam all you want you ain't getting in.

Alternatively shorting CMOS header or pulling the battery will make it load defaults and you can disable fast boot so we don't keep having this argument.
Theres a button on my motherboard next to my USB ports that says CL CMOS. I assume thats clear cmos?

The VCR King

Yup that's it. Mildly surprised it's got an actual button but I guess that is a high end chipset (at the time).
Motherboard was pretty high end at it's time back in 2010. It's from MSI's "Military Grade" lineup. I have the 890FX chipset. model 890FXA-GD65

Darren

Staff member
Motherboard was pretty high end at it's time back in 2010. It's from MSI's "Military Grade" lineup. I have the 890FX chipset. model 890FXA-GD65
Military grade doesn't mean anything, just marketing term. It's 890FX which is the high end chipset from that time, that's the main thing.