I had a stock Gateway G505 desktop. A while back, I fried my mother board with a bad power supply. So anyway, I purchased a new motherboard and new case w/ power supply. Turned out the old ram was 184-pin DDR, but the new board I bought supported 240-pin DDR2 memory. So I've replaced my ram as well, and basically, I now have a custom built PC. Next on my list of parts to replace is the P4 processor.. Since Im gonna trash the old bastard anyway, I want to push the CPU as hard as humanly possible, while still maintaining a semblance of stability.
*NOTE* Temperature issues pose no problem. I've had her clocked up to 3.6 GHz and it still runs below 50C on a full load.
So anyways, here are my specs.
Pentium 4 Prescott 530 (3.0 GHz stock)
2GB DDR2 800 RAM (1 stick)
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Mo-Bo
350W Allied Power Supply (Next on list to upgrade)
Radeon HD3650 GPU (256 MB model)
200 GB HDD @ 7200 ROM
DVD-RW Drive
CD-RW Drive (Can remove to spare power)
Two sets of USB powered speakers (Also willing to remove one set for spare power)
Anyways, so far I have only been successful at OCing the system to 3.5~ GHz via BIOS... Yet I have been able to get it to run at 3.7~ GHz through software overclocking.
My BIOS has the following options:
Robust Graphics Booster - WHAT IS THIS!?
FSB Clock Speed~
Performance Enhancer - What exactly does this do?
Memory Multiplier (Auto, 2, 3.33, 4.0+) (System doesnt boot unless under Auto [Note: Not 100% tested])
PCI Express Speed (Auto, 90-120)
Options to disable serial ports - Does this save power?
Voltage Controls (Auto or Disabled)
[VOLTAGE CONTROLS]
Memory (+0.1-0.4)
FSB (+0.1-0.3) - Any real effect?
CPU (WIDE range, every 1/8th V from 1.2V-1.6V) (Stock Volt- 1.375~)
(There are plenty of other options of course, and some of those listed aren't 100% accurate in options/wording, Im listing from memory.)
Anyways... I want to overclock everything as much as possible. Currently I know my PSU is a bit weak, but I'm looking for some advice.
Some questions I have:
Is there any ratio of power-voltage I should follow?
Is there any TRUE limit to overclocking beyond heat and power limitations?
Any way to optimize the power production of my PSU?
Can I monitor my PSU wattage?
What wattage PSU should I invest in? - I intend to upgrade this system further in the future with a quad core, more RAM, second hard drive, new GPU, and a blu-ray drive. I wish to be able to overclock the end product as well.
Does having a single RAM stick rather than dual channel RAM effect my overclocking potential?
Last but not least... Software overclocking VS BIOS overclocking - Major differences?
I know a lot of what I have said is kind of silly, but I actually do wish to risk frying some parts in my quest to beast-out this Pentium 4.
All input is appreciated! Thanks.
*NOTE* Temperature issues pose no problem. I've had her clocked up to 3.6 GHz and it still runs below 50C on a full load.
So anyways, here are my specs.
Pentium 4 Prescott 530 (3.0 GHz stock)
2GB DDR2 800 RAM (1 stick)
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Mo-Bo
350W Allied Power Supply (Next on list to upgrade)
Radeon HD3650 GPU (256 MB model)
200 GB HDD @ 7200 ROM
DVD-RW Drive
CD-RW Drive (Can remove to spare power)
Two sets of USB powered speakers (Also willing to remove one set for spare power)
Anyways, so far I have only been successful at OCing the system to 3.5~ GHz via BIOS... Yet I have been able to get it to run at 3.7~ GHz through software overclocking.
My BIOS has the following options:
Robust Graphics Booster - WHAT IS THIS!?
FSB Clock Speed~
Performance Enhancer - What exactly does this do?
Memory Multiplier (Auto, 2, 3.33, 4.0+) (System doesnt boot unless under Auto [Note: Not 100% tested])
PCI Express Speed (Auto, 90-120)
Options to disable serial ports - Does this save power?
Voltage Controls (Auto or Disabled)
[VOLTAGE CONTROLS]
Memory (+0.1-0.4)
FSB (+0.1-0.3) - Any real effect?
CPU (WIDE range, every 1/8th V from 1.2V-1.6V) (Stock Volt- 1.375~)
(There are plenty of other options of course, and some of those listed aren't 100% accurate in options/wording, Im listing from memory.)
Anyways... I want to overclock everything as much as possible. Currently I know my PSU is a bit weak, but I'm looking for some advice.
Some questions I have:
Is there any ratio of power-voltage I should follow?
Is there any TRUE limit to overclocking beyond heat and power limitations?
Any way to optimize the power production of my PSU?
Can I monitor my PSU wattage?
What wattage PSU should I invest in? - I intend to upgrade this system further in the future with a quad core, more RAM, second hard drive, new GPU, and a blu-ray drive. I wish to be able to overclock the end product as well.
Does having a single RAM stick rather than dual channel RAM effect my overclocking potential?
Last but not least... Software overclocking VS BIOS overclocking - Major differences?
I know a lot of what I have said is kind of silly, but I actually do wish to risk frying some parts in my quest to beast-out this Pentium 4.
All input is appreciated! Thanks.