Overclocking SLI

g4m3rof1337

I want to overclock both of my 8800GT's, but I would like to know how.. Which program is the best to understand and use? How high should my overall goal be and how many jumps should I take to get there.

Any other information would help.

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Alright, is there a guide or something I should follow on bumping up the clocks?

And what should I run to see if the cards are stable.

And if my bridge isn't connected, will both cards overclock when I'm overclocking in the program?

Thanks.

just a noob

i think if you run futuremark or something like that, so long as the cards aren't producing any artifacting or causes a bsod i think that is stable, i think you can run sli with no bridge, but thats like a 5 percent loss of performance, you can't actully break a card ocing it(provided it isn't voltmodded)

newgeneral01

Im sorry but F riva tuner. Download EVGA Precision. Very easy to use and it overclocks both your cards in sli mode. Its made by EVGA for EVGA but it works for any brand, i have asked myself.

g4m3rof1337

Thanks, actually I am on the phone with a friend, who recommended that same program like 5 minutes ago, before I checked this thread, lol.

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Can someone tell me what steps I should take when using the Evga overclocking program? Like clock this to here and run a stress test, clock it up a bit, and test it again, something like that.

Also, should I have an SLI bridge connected when I overclock?

Thanks.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I would use ATI Tool to scan for artifacts after you've OC'ed the cards. Move each slider at a time, so, if it's un-stable, you know which it is - Core, Memory or Shader. I'd un-link them all too.

For the Core, I'd say around 760Mhz may be the highest you could get, you may be lucky to match my 800Mhz though :p

I wouldn't worry too much about the Memory OC as it won't provide that much of a difference. Core and Shader (In that order) will see the biggest improvement.

Hope this helps, Derek.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I've tried going over 800+ with my 9600GT... and when I tried running 3dmark06, it just gives me a black screen and freezes lol.

g4m3rof1337

I'll overclock it soon, but also, I finally got something to tell me my temps, and they're both under 50C at idle, GPU1 *Top Card* is at 47C and GPU2 is at 42C at idle, I assume the top card will be hotter since it's on the top.

Thanks.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Eh, I took my GPU fans off because the top set wouldn't stay connected, and I didn't want it to fall off while it was on..

I checked my temps, and the fans really help..

I'll try adding them on again later.

g4m3rof1337

Alright, so I put the fans back on, and they dropped my temps by like 10C, I just need to make sure the top card's fans don't pop off, or they'll fall onto the the second card, could that permanently damage the second card?

Thanks.

Vizy

Alright, so I put the fans back on, and they dropped my temps by like 10C, I just need to make sure the top card's fans don't pop off, or they'll fall onto the the second card, could that permanently damage the second card?

Thanks.
If i get what your saying, when the fan/s fall off the top card, it will fall below on top of the second card... Hell no it won't do much...why should it fall anyways?

g4m3rof1337

Well, there are two fans, that are connected to each other by a wire, and they have two clips on each fan, to snap onto the GPU's heatsink, and the fins or something weren't snapping in, and they could be pulled out, by wiggling them a little.

But I have them snapped on now, so.

Thanks.

Vizy

Well, there are two fans, that are connected to each other by a wire, and they have two clips on each fan, to snap onto the GPU's heatsink, and the fins or something weren't snapping in, and they could be pulled out, by wiggling them a little.

But I have them snapped on now, so.

Thanks.
oh congrats dude. why take the risk you know...

g4m3rof1337

I mentioned this earlier, but I will be going through with volt modding both of my cards. I currently have to wait a little while since my second GT has a different circuit board layout, the guy has to modify the volt mod chip, so.

Then the overclocking will begin.

And I mounted the GPU fans on the coolers, everything is working great so far.

Last edited: