Overclocking?

Charlie7940

I shouldn't really comment as I have never overclocked. However, it could save people a little money if you buy say an AMD 64 2800, and overclock it to a 3200...(just an example).

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Overclocking can be helpful if you have a computer that you're going to upgrade/replace soon, and you want to get one last blast of performance out of the parts that you already have (it certainly helped me. I had a p3 450MHz and an S3 Savage4. 'nuff said). It can also help if you want to get (as someone else mentioned) 3200+ performance out of a 2800+ processor due to financials. The inherit dangers of overclocking, however, are that it can significantly reduce the life of your parts if you overclock severely. It also demands better cooling. If you can afford the faster parts, then it's definitely a better idea to buy them, but if you can't, overclocking offers similar performance at the cost of the life-span of a cheaper part.

Platino

I fully agress with Necromancer's statement.

Most of the overclockers are gamers that want their games run a lot faster. Actually most of the modern 3D games benefit more from a fast graphics card than a totally overclocked processor. So it would make more sense for this people to overclock the card itself, but even this doesn't bring much more frames per second nowadays. E.g. the Geforce 6600 GT became so very cheap in the last time (at least here in Germany) that overclocking is futile now IMO.

Overclocking or modern systems makes sense if you want to encode your movies a few hours faster than before or if you work with video-editing tools and want to spare a few minutes for every rendering session. But even this should happen in an economical/ecological way, so you shouldn't overclock your hardware to an area that lowers the hardware's lifespan to an absolute minimum at horrendous heat and costs for the power. ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a decent PC that gives u the performance you need, why overclock ?
1. What happens if it doesnt give performance u need?
2. What if it doesnt give the performace you want?
3. Why use a system at anything but the full performance profile its capable of?
4. Quite possibly a similar reason to why people bother doing the shit they do with their cars

98vert6spd

lol praetor

nice

i tried to OC my system yesterday and i got to 9% OC before it was unstable

thats a 3.0e

i ran pi at 1m and got 44sec before OC and then ran at 9% oc thats jacking tthe cpu utilization

and it ran at 42s

i dont think 2 sec is worth it to me so i took it back down to the stock setting

people mod thier cars because friends dont let friends drive stock
Im not into all the stickers and hooplah

but i did mod my corvette 350hp isnt enough..... after you get used to it

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
98vert6spd said:
people mod thier cars because friends dont let friends drive stock
i dont let friends drive my car souped or when it was stock, no ones touches the wheel 'cept me and my brother

apj101

VIP Member
simple - to get something for nothing!

I have oc'd my 3ghz p4 to 3.8. But i do wonder how many years i knocked of the life?

But on second thoughts, how long does a processor actually last before you need to replace it though obsolescence? Im sure a moderatly oc'd chip will well exceed this time

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But on second thoughts, how long does a processor actually last before you need to replace it though obsolescence? Im sure a moderatly oc'd chip will well exceed this time
Yes indeed that really depends on the person using it and their upgrade cycle :)