Overheating graphics?

Itronix

Hello. I finished my first build, and I will be putting a good graphics card in. For now, I'm using the integrated 6100. When I play San Andreas, it works for around 5 minutes, and then the screen messes up and the computer won't respond. The hard drive light doesn't even blink. I don't know how to describe it, besides how it freezes for a second first, and then it kind of scrambles. I figured that it was San Andreas, so I played Mafia- a much easier game for a computer to play. After 15 minutes, the same thing happens.

It's kind of like it's heating up fast with GTA, but slow with Mafia (but still overheating), and that's why mafia plays longer than gta. Could it be the north bridge overheating, which is the 6100? I think it has a heatsink on it, but could it be not good enough? The south bridge is Nvidia n410. It's the pc in my signature. Thanks.
EDIT: The 6100 driver is the most recent and new.

Last edited:

Itronix

Thanks. I figured that it was a software issue, but I tried Mafia and experienced the same thing. Should I buy a cooler with a fan?

ChrisUlrich

Would a overheating graphics card cause your PC to crash?

Vista with EVGA 8800 Ultra. Seeing some graphic glitches then total PC Shutdown.

Vestitor

Well, yeah integrated GFX usually do tend to get really hot and overheat. My ATi Radeon 1200 starting getting artifacts in DOS, so yeah thats pretty bad. Found a fan laying around put it on and worked like a charm.

And ChrisUlrich do your have good ventilation in your case?
I haven't heard of that video card over heating.. But what do I know :eek: .

Intel_man

VIP Member
Would a overheating graphics card cause your PC to crash?
Vista with EVGA 8800 Ultra. Seeing some graphic glitches then total PC Shutdown.
Very likely it will because once it overheats, it just freezes.
Are you talking about nvlddmkm.sys display error? 0x00000116 in BSOD?
I've encounter that before with my Intel integrated X3000. I think that the game is too powerful for my video card rather than overheating.

ChrisUlrich

Very likely it will because once it overheats, it just freezes.

I've encounter that before with my Intel integrated X3000. I think that the game is too powerful for my video card rather than overheating.

Are you saying that it WOULDN'T shutdown? It would just freeze?