Overheating? Need some help.

Dharper

Hey all, first post here, I am having some trouble with my computer. Last year I updated my computer. I used the same case, a 2004 Dell desktop case.

I recently purchased a new case and installed all the components. Now I am having a problem where the computer will randomly turn off. I believe the CPU is overheating, but am not sure.

Here are the specs of my computer:

Mobo: Gigabyte M61PME-S2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
HDD: 150gb 7200 SATA
Video: GeForce 8800gt
RAM: 4gb DDR2 (XP only recognizes 3gb, oh well)
PSU: 700w Rocketfish
Case: NZXT Alpha

The case has a fan on the side and a fan in the back, so along with CPU fan, vid card fan, and PSU fan, there are 5 fans in my computer.

Here is what SpeedFan is showing:

heat.jpg

Don't know why the other fans say 0 RPM, I'm assuming fan #1 is the CPU fan?

I upgraded my case to avoid this problem, the computer did not ever turn off with the old case, maybe I installed something wrong?

I would appreciate any insight or help with this issue.

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
Are your case fans plugged into your MOBO - or Standard MOLEX cables?

My Case fans are just plugged directly into my PSU - rather than the MOBO - so I don't think they would be able to be monitored with an application like speedfan.

For the Record : I'm not that familiar with Speedfan - just something that came to mind.

RavenPerch

make sure atleast 2 fans are connected through the motherboard and not power directly from the psu.

even if you have connected through the motherboard, check that the fan has 3 or more cables if it dosent, dont worry about the incorrect speed and if it does, try a different fan.

82 degrees for one of the temperatures is a little worring....replace some fans, and remove fans from the side...clean the cpu of old thermal paste and refit the heatsink...

and next, i assume that you have places fans in incorrect placements. personal tests of mine have shown that fans at the sides of a chassis prove least effective for cooling chassis temperatures. the best organisation is to have an intake of cool air from the front and exhale of warm air from the back.

--------------------------
hp pavillion eliete series

Last edited:

Dharper

How would I go about connecting the fans to the motherboard? The case fan connectors are 4 pin, the only way I see to connect them is directly to the PSU.

The thing is, I never had this problem with my old case and the same setup, the only difference is I added another stick of RAM when I bought the new case.

The case came with the fans in that configuration, intake from the side and exhaust out the back. I would have to relocate the on/off and reset button on the front and cut out a hole to mount a fan on the front, not sure I want to do that.

Maybe I should upgrade my heatsink and fan on the CPU? The fan and heatsink on there came with the AMD when I bought it. My computer has always been on the warm side, wanted to fix that problem with a new case but it seems to have gotten worse.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, hopefully one or all of those suggestions work. Sorry for the seemingly random paragraphs, I'm just typing as I think.

bomberboysk

How would I go about connecting the fans to the motherboard? The case fan connectors are 4 pin, the only way I see to connect them is directly to the PSU.

The thing is, I never had this problem with my old case and the same setup, the only difference is I added another stick of RAM when I bought the new case.

The case came with the fans in that configuration, intake from the side and exhaust out the back. I would have to relocate the on/off and reset button on the front and cut out a hole to mount a fan on the front, not sure I want to do that.

Maybe I should upgrade my heatsink and fan on the CPU? The fan and heatsink on there came with the AMD when I bought it. My computer has always been on the warm side, wanted to fix that problem with a new case but it seems to have gotten worse.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, hopefully one or all of those suggestions work. Sorry for the seemingly random paragraphs, I'm just typing as I think.

A new heatsink might help, one thing you may want to do though is download everest and post a screenshot of the "sensors" page.

AlienMenace

Did you re-grease the processor with new supply of thermal compund. About once a year if it needs it or not I do mine.
You have 2 fan connectors on that board, CPU and SYSTEM Fan.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Did you re-grease the processor with new supply of thermal compund. About once a year if it needs it or not I do mine.

Technically arctic silver wouldnt need to be replaced unless you took the heatsink off while moving to a new case, but i also replace mine every year or so.

Dharper

UPDATE:

So. I just bought a new processor, on account of I completely smushed one of the pins on the old one. *sigh* I took the heatsink off to dust it out and replace the thermal paste, when I put it back on apparently it wasn't seated quite right and one of the pins got bent down all the way. Tried to bend it back, it snapped off. So now I am $67.00 down, but I did get another case fan to put in the front.

There is a spot for a fan in the front, so I went ahead and put one in there. This one has a connector for Sys fan, so I connected it to the mobo. It is fairly loud, but that doesn't bother me.

heat2.jpg

this is speedfan as of now. lots better, but my GPU and core 2 are still up there. I'm gonna leave it running and play some games, see how it fares. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

*edit* I don't understand how core 1 is sitting at 16c and core 2 is at 60. Seems like a big difference.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

UPDATE:

So. I just bought a new processor, on account of I completely smushed one of the pins on the old one. *sigh* I took the heatsink off to dust it out and replace the thermal paste, when I put it back on apparently it wasn't seated quite right and one of the pins got bent down all the way. Tried to bend it back, it snapped off. So now I am $67.00 down, but I did get another case fan to put in the front.

There is a spot for a fan in the front, so I went ahead and put one in there. This one has a connector for Sys fan, so I connected it to the mobo. It is fairly loud, but that doesn't bother me.

heat2.jpg

this is speedfan as of now. lots better, but my GPU and core 2 are still up there. I'm gonna leave it running and play some games, see how it fares. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

*edit* I don't understand how core 1 is sitting at 16c and core 2 is at 60. Seems like a big difference.
Core and core may not be your cpu temperature, download everest ultimate and post a screenshot of the sensors page.

Dharper

heat3.jpg

Ahhh I see. That makes more sense. I'll use this instead of speed fan from now on.

Anywho, my computer hasn't turned off once since I installed the new fan and proc, everything seems to be fine now.

One more question. What does MCP stand for on that page? I'm thinking it has to do with chipset?

Last edited:

Twist86

It is normal for this chip...my X2 4400+ gave faulty temps till a BIOS update...my mothers X2 5400+ BE edition gives such BS temps as well.

I use the finger test...5 mins 100% load = cooler hot = new cooler needed...cooler = cool then your fine.

MCP = chipset I believe that handles your graphics. Don't hold me to it but that is what I was told.

bomberboysk

It is normal for this chip...my X2 4400+ gave faulty temps till a BIOS update...my mothers X2 5400+ BE edition gives such BS temps as well.

I use the finger test...5 mins 100% load = cooler hot = new cooler needed...cooler = cool then your fine.

MCP = chipset I believe that handles your graphics. Don't hold me to it but that is what I was told.

MCP= Northbridge, SPP= Southbridge. The true acronym is Media Communications Processor though.(Nvidia chipset i would assume then) Unless your chip has an All in one northbridge/southbridge then the MCP would refer to that.

Last edited:

RavenPerch

The MCP, or MCM, is the Multi Chip Package/Module. This normally refers to the bundling of several integrated circuits onto one dye. I 'm not really sure but the MCP could possibly indicate the Northbridge or the Southbridge on the motherboard or an average of both.

I told yeh the front fans would work and the motherboard power for fans, sad you bent the pins, no wonder they stopped PGA and switched to ball grid array. i've bent loads of pins like that.

Oh yeah, try getting another fan at the front somewhere or even at the front side, this will cool your motherboard further, i think 40 or 35 should be fine for a motherbaord.