Overheating.

ItlanChode

pcwizard.jpg

Posted this in the main forum, thought I'd post it here. My psu is CONSTANTLY running at 79 degrees C. Any ideas?

Bacon

pcwizard.jpg

Posted this in the main forum, thought I'd post it here. My psu is CONSTANTLY running at 79 degrees C. Any ideas?

You know that program doesn't have live updating, you need to change panels to see if the temp changed, regardless.. Whats your power supply?

ItlanChode

I know it doesn't update.. I'm stating, no matter when I load it, time of day, programs running, etc. it's ALWAYS 79c. Not sure of the PSU itself, but the sticker states 525w.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If the program is not picking up a reading from the PSU it will give a high reading like that. But your GPU and Harddrive are alittle on the warm side.

Aastii

VIP Member
the power supply is fine, read what stranglehold put.

for your others, clean out your case, that means full disasembly and clean all of your heatsinks and fans. Reaply decent thermal paste and put it all back together and see the temps then. If they are still a bit on the warm side (your video card and hard drive for example), you will need better case ventilation, which will mean more fans, maybe new heatsink+fan or hard drive enclosure with fan, and maybe even a modded case (So much fun :D)

ItlanChode

the power supply is fine, read what stranglehold put.

for your others, clean out your case, that means full disasembly and clean all of your heatsinks and fans. Reaply decent thermal paste and put it all back together and see the temps then. If they are still a bit on the warm side (your video card and hard drive for example), you will need better case ventilation, which will mean more fans, maybe new heatsink+fan or hard drive enclosure with fan, and maybe even a modded case (So much fun :D)

I cleaned out the heatsink in the card and it dropped about 10 degrees. I went to buy a new card today, a GTS 250, and the damn thing is so thick it doesn't fit on my mobo due to other parts being connected lol.

Should I upgrade the mobo or downgrade the card?

Aastii

VIP Member
I cleaned out the heatsink in the card and it dropped about 10 degrees. I went to buy a new card today, a GTS 250, and the damn thing is so thick it doesn't fit on my mobo due to other parts being connected lol.

Should I upgrade the mobo or downgrade the card?

mobo i'd have said, if you can afford it that is. Get something with plenty of upragability if you can so it isn't at the top with you needing to get a full new system in a few months/year or so to still meet your needs.

clean your cooling system.change your cooling system.
clear.gif

RTFPs

Aastii

VIP Member
That first one is big enough?

It is full ATX, you can only get e-ATX and XL-ATX I think it is called? (correct me someone if i am wrong)

If you look at the layout though, although the sata slots are on top rather than at the side, the top sata slots aren't in line with the top PCI-e slot, so it shouldn't interfere with your card. If you have any USB wires they will reach over or around the card easily too so yea, it should fit