Overheating?

geminimissions

A previous thread I asked the question why my PC was restarting during gameplay. I manually updated the drivers for my GPU and haven't had a problem in weeks until recently. It was around 90* out when it happened which makes me think its overheating. (No air conditioning) When I check the temps using CPUID HWMonitor I get around 30* C at idle. I quickly restarted and checked the temperature in the BIOS and got 43* C. Is the temperature monitor off? When playing in this weather the CPU cooler is at full power and sounds like a jet taking off and according to the HWMonitor it gets around 50* C. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
A previous thread I asked the question why my PC was restarting during gameplay. I manually updated the drivers for my GPU and haven't had a problem in weeks until recently. It was around 90* out when it happened which makes me think its overheating. (No air conditioning) When I check the temps using CPUID HWMonitor I get around 30* C at idle. I quickly restarted and checked the temperature in the BIOS and got 43* C. Is the temperature monitor off? When playing in this weather the CPU cooler is at full power and sounds like a jet taking off and according to the HWMonitor it gets around 50* C. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

When in Bios your temperature will be higher than idle temperature. And what CPU do you have? 50C doesn't seem unreasonable for modern chips.

geminimissions

I have the AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 GHz. I am also running a Sapphire Radeon 5770 GPU. It seems like it must be overheating and causing a restart because it only does this in warm weather. The screen just freezes and the speakers buzz then it restarts. In the BIOS the CPU cooler is usually around 4500 rpm, time for an aftermarket one?

Thanks for the help,
Andy

danthrax

50* C is not near hot enough for the GPU to cause it to shut down. I have a 5770 that runs about 55-65 degrees under load and the maximum should be about 80. Is there anything on the screen when it restarts? Like are there lines going across it or any weird colors that show up?

geminimissions

50* C is not near hot enough for the GPU to cause it to shut down. I have a 5770 that runs about 55-65 degrees under load and the maximum should be about 80. Is there anything on the screen when it restarts? Like are there lines going across it or any weird colors that show up?

The screen just freezes with a slight vibration to it. Then it goes black and it restarts followed by stating that windows did not shut down correctly. I know it has to be heat related because I can game for hours if its 70* out with no restart but only 15-30 minutes if its above 85*until it restarts. I ran OCCT on the power supply test for 10 minutes (had to leave) and the CPU got to 51*C and the GPU only got to 72*C. I will run it again when more hot weather strikes and record the temps when/if it restarts.

Thanks again,
Andy