P4 Prescott Users

b182tm

What are your CPU temps, idle and load? Also, state what HSF or cooling method you are using.

Mine are around 51 Celcius idle, load about 70 Celcius. Stock HSF. I'm just wondering how my temps compare to yours.

Thanks,
D

b182tm

Hey Cromewell, you and I have almost the exact same setups...Why would your temps be so much lower than mine? I really am getting frustrated with my temperatures being so high. If anyone can tell me why my temps are so high, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

edit: Greggie Boy, what cooling are you using?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Have you 'tampered' with the stock heatsink? ie. changed the thermal paste, if you have try reappling it. The other thing may be my house isn't to warm, typically 19C on the upper floors.

Greggie Boy

I'm using the stock heatsink/fan that came with the cpu. It came with a thermal pad(not paste)
The fan configuration is this:
Two 80mm rear intake
one top 80 mm exhaust
One front 80 mm intake
One side 120 mm exhaust
psu has two 80 mm fans
recently cleaned front intake fan, very dusty, as temps were creeping up.
Doesn'ttake much dust to impede air flow with pc case fans..

helmie

26 Idle, 37 Load.

Never went past 45 C at 3.95Ghz. Load. I love my Big Typhoon.

I dont understand how yours went wrong b182tm. What thermal paste did you use? Once its on right, it is an amazing cooler.

meanman

i have a prescott 3ghz cpu and my temp idle is 48c and under load goes up to 60 c i changed my cpu fan and the one i use know is the artic cooling freezer 4 socket 478 the temps above are with this cpu fan and are better than it was with the fan supplied with the cpu also the prescott is also known as the pres shot due to the temp it runs at

b182tm

Cromewell said:
Have you 'tampered' with the stock heatsink? ie. changed the thermal paste, if you have try reappling it. The other thing may be my house isn't to warm, typically 19C on the upper floors.
Yeah, I have uninstalled, reinstalled several times. The thing with the stock hsf is that you can never really tell if it is on all the way. The twist things are crap, and come off easily. Also, my room temp. is 22.9 degrees celcius, and my comp. is idling at 68 degrees celcius. That temp. is after staying on all night, under no load.

helmie said:
26 Idle, 37 Load.

Never went past 45 C at 3.95Ghz. Load. I love my Big Typhoon.

I dont understand how yours went wrong b182tm. What thermal paste did you use? Once its on right, it is an amazing cooler.
I used Arctic Silver 5. I dont understand why mine didnt work either...I guess it must not have been on right....I honestly dont see how thats possible, because there is only like one way it can go on. I even re-did it 3 times, every time was the exact same, on snug as hell. I ordered this heatsink because you dont need to remove the mobo to get it on. I figured if this one doesnt work, I will return it and try another one....But then again, if the TT BT didnt work, and this next one doesnt work, I dont know what will....I'm kind of beginning to think somethings worng with my setup/CPU? I dont know, we'll see what happens.

THanks a ton everyone,
D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
When you took the heatsink off did you notice any bare areas on the contact area? It should have paste all over it if applied correctly. I thought the push on clips worked well. Your room is fairly warm too, what does your mobo temp sensor read?

b182tm

No, the AS5 seems distributed evenly and everywhere. The mobo is at 43 C. My room is currently 23.1 C. CPU is idling at 68 C. I am going to shut it all down and take off my HSF, while its still hot, and see if I cant get the wax off of my CPU because of the high heat. It will be melted.

THanks,
D