page file help

Can someone tell me how to ajust my Page File in win xp pro???

and am I right that Page File is the same as Vertaule memory??

tasha1133

Can someone tell me how to ajust my Page File in win xp pro???

and am I right that Page File is the same as Vertaule memory??

yes, they are the same.. and that's virtual memory.
to change page file/virtual memory: START > CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE > SYSTEM > ADVANCED > SETTINGS (under performance tab) > ADVANCED > CHANGE (under Virtual memory).

You can set your virtual memory up to 4x the size of your RAM..

thanks but

I ask because wen I go into Task Manager uner Performance Tab.

I see my Commit Charge Total says 584212 K
And my Physicale Memory says 3669228 K

Sould my Commit not be this big?????????

tasha1133

okay.. could you just give a little description of you computer? What OS are you using and how much RAM does it have?

If you have too little RAM, running applications could put much stress on your pagefile and may even damage hardrive due to non-stop writing..

zombine210

okay.. could you just give a little description of you computer? What OS are you using and how much RAM does it have?

If you have too little RAM, running applications could put much stress on your pagefile and may even damage hardrive due to non-stop writing..

he's running XP pro, likely 32bit with 4gb ram:

I see my Commit Charge Total says 584212 K
And my Physicale Memory says 3669228 K

Sould my Commit not be this big?????????

commit charge is how much you're using at the moment, you're using half gig and you have 3.7 gb physically available. this is about normal, and you wont run out of memory anytime soon.

you really shouldn't be having paging issues, let windows manage that on its own.

thanks but

I am runnning win xp rpo 32 Bit
And I have two stick of RAM in my system and eatch stick has 2,048 MB so that is 2. GB a pice.
So my total RAM is 4 GB
And I have an Onboard Video that I have set in the BIOS to just take 64 MB out of Main Memory for Video.

But in my computer it say my RAM is 3 . 50 GB why not say 4 GB

And in Task Manager why does it say
Physicale Memory says 3669228 K
Commit Charge Total says 584212 K

Please tell me in your own words

tasha1133

I am runnning win xp rpo 32 Bit
And I have two stick of RAM in my system and eatch stick has 2,048 MB so that is 2. GB a pice.
So my total RAM is 4 GB
And I have an Onboard Video that I have set in the BIOS to just take 64 MB out of Main Memory for Video.

But in my computer it say my RAM is 3 . 50 GB why not say 4 GB

Because you are using 32-bit.. if you upgrade to 64 bit all 4 GB will be reported..

linkin

VIP Member
Here we go:

2^32 = 4294967296 (put that in bits and you get approx. 4GB)

2^64 = 18446744073709551616 (put that in bits and you get approx. 18 EB (Exabytes)

That's why 32 bit can only see 4gb but about half a gigbyte is taken up by address space (memory addresses for your hardware)

For the record it goes like this:

Bits>Bytes>Kilobytes>Megabytes>Gigabytes>Terabytes>Exabytes>Petabytes. (i think it goes in that order)

Hope that cleared everything up, and didn't leave you with more questions than answers ;)

Last edited:
thanks but

OK thanks I am useing win xp pro 32 Bit.

If I upgrade to win xp pro 64 Bit will I have to do a Formmat again and loss all my dada and have to put all my settings back???

tasha1133

OK thanks I am useing win xp pro 32 Bit.

If I upgrade to win xp pro 64 Bit will I have to do a Formmat again and loss all my dada and have to put all my settings back???

First, back-up all your files. Well, not all. just back-up the ones you want to keep.lol

Here, if you want to upgrade to 64-bit, you need to make sure you have a 64-bit capable processor. and your hardware devices should have 64-bit drivers to work properly.. Also, you have to have about 4gb of RAM or more so you could see more apparent benefits of 64-bit.. you can keep your data on a different partition of your harddrive while doing the upgrade but i would advise you make a back-up..

Thanks but

My CPU specs are

Model
AD785ZWCGHBOX
Socket Type
AM 2. +
C.P.U Type
A.M.D Athlon 64 X 2. 7850

And my Motherboar specs are?

Model
A780GM A
Serial Number
K61110E83803609
Socket
AM 2. +
Memory Type
D.D.R 2. 400 MHz / D.D.R 2. 533 MHz
Memory Type Dual Channel
D.D.R 2. 667 MHz / D.D.R 2. 800 MHz
Memory Type Daul Channel Fastest
1,066 MHz AM 2. + only.
L.A.N Type
RJ 45 Ethernet 10 Mbps / 100 Mbps / 1,000 Mbps Gigabit
Northbridge Chipset
A.M.D 780G
Southbridge Chipset
A.M.D SB700
Front Side BUS
2,600 MHz 5,200 MTps

Amd I ok??

XSIMan

be ready for your old programs and games not working if you go to a 64bit OS I gave up on Win XP 64 years ago it was usless.

thanks but

Thank you for all your help I wanted to go to win xp pro 64 only because I have two sticks of 2. GB eatch.

And my win xp pro 32 Bit only sees 3.50 GB

And that would be ok but I have Onboard Video no Video Card and wen I set my Video Memory Higher and higher that 3.50 GB that my win xp can see now says 3.25 GB

So I have 4. GB installed and I set my video memory to 64 MB then system properties say I have 3.50 GB
And if I set my video memory to 256 my sysem properties says I have 3.25 GB

So I want to know if win xp pro 32 Bit can only see 3 GB then how can it say I have 3.50 GB and 3.25 GB it can see anymore then just 3. GB.

Can you explane please exactly
Thanks

tasha1133

in 32 bit OS versions ALL memory (motherboard, cache and Video) must be mapped into the 4 GB limitation that is built into the 32 bit OS's. It's a limitation set for 32-bit OS versions. But not all of the available 4GB of address space can be given over to memory because it will be used by other components like video memory.. That is why, it's a waste of money for someone to buy 4 gb of RAM if he plans to stay with 32-bit for long.. I have heard that by installing vista SP1, a system can report the full 4GB but it's only vista's way to cool down the heads of users who will only calm down if they saw their 4GB shown as it does not improve performance at all..

By the way, your motherboard is good for 64-bit..