page file help

tasha1133

what is this showing me
2^32 = 4294967296 (put that in bits and you get approx. 4GB)

he was trying to show you the amount of memory 32-bit systems can handle. Again, 4gb is the memory limit set for 32-bit. and out of that 4gb, windows can report and manage only about 3gb to 3.5gb of RAM, as the the remaining space will be used to handle memory from other windows components..

thanks but

OK I get it but what I don't understand is this.

If win xp pro 32 Bit has a limit of 4 GB but only can use and report 3 GB then how can it have a limit of 4 GB it can see or use 4 GB

tasha1133

OK I get it but what I don't understand is this.

If win xp pro 32 Bit has a limit of 4 GB but only can use and report 3 GB then how can it have a limit of 4 GB it can see or use 4 GB

he was showing you the total size of address space available for 32-bit, which is 4gb..

because that 4gb limit includes memory from other windows components like video memory.. Windows can display 4GB memory in 32-bit but that includes memory from RAM and memory from other windows components.

In other words 4gb is the address space available for 32-bit systems.. All memory within the system should be mapped into that 4gb.. so if you installed 4gb RAM, not all of it will be reported by the system because it has to reserve some space for other components..

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of RAM is already installed, part of the address space in the system must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites 256mb of the system memory to accomodate the 256 MB from your video card. So if you checked on your RAM, you will see that less than the 4gb that you have installed will be reported. The reduction in size of RAM reported will depend on the devices installed on your computer.. Hope that helps.

Last edited: