Painting the Tower

CarlC

I haven`t but am going to at some point, just need to money,and my pc to be sound before i do.I just want to mod like every case i got.Just really want to mod my case.Can`t wait:D

Atrosity

I think I may paint the inside flat black...

I just bought a new tower and eventually my computer will be put together piece by piece.

CarlC

I`d save the time and money mate if you`re painting it black, it`s probably black anyway lol.
But i might paint the inside,just depends on the topic i`ll paint my case on.Ain`t decided, but a bit of yellow has to be on there some where:D

Atrosity

That is what I mean paint the inside, I meant to edit the title but it doesn't let me on this forum..

I want to see some pics of the inside of the tower painted

G25r8cer

Yes I have painted the inside of mine gloss black then, did a coat of clear to keep it from scratching when taking it apart for cleaning.

Tips

1. Sand everything down (very important esp when using enamel paints) Sand it just enough to give the paint something to grab onto.
2. Blow dust away with air compressor or compressed air can
3. Wipe down with wet rag or rubbing alcohol
4. Let dry
5. Start painting and DONT rush it
6. Use very light coats (2-3 total)

My results (older picture but, paint has not changed)

P1010241.jpg

JareeB

Yes I have painted the inside of mine gloss black then, did a coat of clear to keep it from scratching when taking it apart for cleaning.

Tips

1. Sand everything down (very important esp when using enamel paints) Sand it just enough to give the paint something to grab onto.
2. Blow dust away with air compressor or compressed air can
3. Wipe down with wet rag or rubbing alcohol
4. Let dry
5. Start painting and DONT rush it
6. Use very light coats (2-3 total)

My results (older picture but, paint has not changed)

P1010241.jpg

you dont want to use sand paper to sand it go to fleat farm if you have one and get a red scuff pad just to make the paint stick

John A

Heat Physics

A little bit of heat physics. Black(like a polar bear's skin) absorbs heat. So any heat in the case will get absorbed. As for white(like a polar bear's fur) it's the oppisite. Just remember that. I know a lot of people with bad cooling systems and black chassis'. Didn't go to well.:)

ScottALot

A little bit of heat physics. Black(like a polar bear's skin) absorbs heat. So any heat in the case will get absorbed. As for white(like a polar bear's fur) it's the oppisite. Just remember that. I know a lot of people with bad cooling systems and black chassis'. Didn't go to well.:)

Black absorbs light, not heat.

Yeti

VIP Member
First off, as ScottALot alluded to, black absorbs light in the visible spectrum whereas white will reflect visible light. Infrared radiation, on the other had, which I believe you're refering to as heat, is often equally absorbed (and emitted due to Kirchoff's law) by both white and black materials. For example, white and black electrical tape both have emissivities/absortivities of ~0.90-0.95. As for the point about black cases being bad, if you're relying on radiative heat transfer for cooling in your case then you definitely have a problem. Copper and aluminum heat exchangers have very low emissivities so the hottest components emit heat least efficiently.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

First off, as ScottALot alluded to, black absorbs light in the visible spectrum whereas white will reflect visible light. Infrared radiation, on the other had, which I believe you're refering to as heat, is often equally absorbed (and emitted due to Kirchoff's law) by both white and black materials. For example, white and black electrical tape both have emissivities/absortivities of ~0.90-0.95. As for the point about black cases being bad, if you're relying on radiative heat transfer for cooling in your case then you definitely have a problem. Copper and aluminum heat exchangers have very low emissivities so the hottest components emit head least efficiently.

In english for everyone else: Small scale like a computer a black case will not affect temperatures negatively due to the low amount of visible light that will be absorbed to the case, let alone the fact that most interior lighting is relatively low intensity. However, in larger scale such as say, a car in the sunlight, a black car will have higher temperatures than say, a white car(this has been tested a few times by multiple places and confirmed accurate). Not to mention, the purpose of a computer chassis is not to

Key pieces of advice when painting(somewhat repeated as what g25racer mentioned):
1. Sand! Sand! Sand! Cannot stress this enough, as paint does not stick well to the galvanized zinc surface of a computer case interior, get as much of the zinc layer off as possible. I recommend using either a 320 or 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper for this step. If you have access to a media blaster, that is an even better option.
2. Wipe it down like g25 mentioned, acetone is best here, rubbing alcohol will work however.
3. Get a self etching primer, put a few light coats on.
4. Get a good quality spray paint, something such as krylon fusion although meant for plastics works excellent on computer cases, rustoleum is also an excellent choice.
5. Let the paint dry fully between coats, dont try to cover everything perfectly on the first coat, multiple thin coats will result in far better looks.
6. Let the final coat dry for at least a week, then wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol and apply a final coat, allowing the final coat to dry for at least 24 if not 48 hours in a well ventilated environment.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Here's mine, I went orange on my 300, lol

And just as a side note, I didn't sand at all or applied prime. Just cleaned and sprayed.

Picture007-6.jpg

funkysnair

VIP Member
mine was de-greased lightely sanded washed down then primed (about 5 coats) then sprayed black (about 5-7 coats)

before
06122009029.jpg

06122009032.jpg

after
IMG_0882.jpg

11122009048.jpg

11122009047.jpg

in my opinion it just finnishes the look off, i still dont understand why companys make black cases with side windows and have a silver interior?

IMG_1281.jpg