Panasonic Toughpad CF - H2 Issues

Postman23

Hi all, new here. I have a Panasonic Toughpad CF-H2 that keeps shutting down suddenly while being used on battery. It seems fine when plugged in, but will shut down suddenly on battery. When checking the battery state of charge it says 78% on 1 battery and 100% on the other. It doesn't seem to matter if I switch batteries or not. I have 6 batteries for this unit and I've swapped them in every configuration I can think of, doesn't seem to matter. I've sent it in for repair, they changed the hard drive, sent it back, but the problem is still there. Now it's out of warranty and I'm stuck with it. Any body run into this issue with these before? Any thoughts on the issue?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Shutting down usually means an overheating issue. I would try downloading a cpu temperature program like Realtemp and see what the temps are. The fans might need to be cleaned out or thermal paste removed and reapplied. Or its just the battery is getting hot while in use and adding to the temps.

Postman23

Thanks for your reply John, temperature makes sense, but wouldn't the same thing happen when the unit is plugged in as well? I will download Realtemp, what would the normal temperature be? Not sure what to look for.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe there is an intermittent power issue between battery and unit? If realtemp can read the temp sensor, it shouldn't go above 80 degrees C depending on what cpu it has. When it shuts down, can you turn it right back on?

Postman23

It allows me to turn it back on, but then it generally shuts off again. It seems to happen after its been on for a while, so it could be temperature related. My initial thoughts were a power issue between the batteries and the unit, as it seems okay plugged in. I'll check the temperature, thanks for the general spec.

Postman23

Well, just discovered there is a recall on the batteries. The ones I have are part of the recall notice. Don't know if that's the problem, but it's definitely a problem that needs attention. I ordered a pair of replacements, I'll post if it makes a difference.