parallel port replacement

joojoo1234

Guys can you replace a centronics port on the back of a laser printer controller board? This computer is expensive to replace and I know it is just the port that is fried as the self test and hard drive and everything else functions perfectly.
Thanks
real amatuer here by the way.
[email protected]

jcnoernberg

anything is possible! if you know how to solder, and there aren't any heat critcal parts very close to the port, and you use very little heat! it's gonna be tough, but if you're going to have to replace it otherwise anyhow, why not try it.

if it were me, I would get some wire cutters, and snip all the leads of the port leaving a bit sticking straight up off the board, then I would solder individual wires to each port, put a little piece of heat shink tubing over the joint for strength, then solder the other end of those wires to a new jack. of course it wont fit on the pc chasis the same, it may even have to just hang out of the hole a couple of inches... but it should work. should be able to do it in an hour.

NyRoN

to be on the safe side why not just get it to a technician or someone who's good with soldering and let them do it!!!

Platinum

But that would take away all the fun. Half the fun is trying NOT to break anything, the other half is getting it to work! =D

NyRoN

true...thats the fun in it...but he said at the bottom that he's a real amatuer...i wouldnt want him to risk anything if he does it himself...

but thats true about the fun