parameter is incorrect??

andrew

heres my problem.. i have a 3 gig P4 with windows 2000 server.. 2 physical hard drives both on the primary ide.. a maxtor 80 GB with my OS on it and a western digital 200 GB with all my important files stored on it.. well a few days ago i started getting errors that said my files r unreadable and corrupt.. this continued happening till i got so many i had to restart the computer.. after starting back up i went to that drive in explorer and i noticed the volume label was now gone.. and when i clicked on it i got this error g:\ is not accessible the parameter is in correct.. i tried chkdsk and it did not work.. i noticed that it says there is no file system anymore.. i took the drive out and put it in my other computer and it asked me if i wanted to format it.. so i put it back in the old computer and it still didnt work so then i tried about 6 different data recovery programs and recovered about 20 files out of hundreds of thousands.. i have another WD 200 GB with an exact copy of everything that was on that drive i keep as a backup.. i hooked that one up to the secondary ide and started burning all of it onto dvds.. when i almost had everything copied.. my windows explorer froze up for some reason and i had to restart.. when i went to the backup drive in explorer i noticed that one also had no volume label anymore.. when i clicked on it i got the same error.. i tried to recover that drive but i got nothing at all this time.. thank god i copied most all of my files to dvd.. i thaught i could never lose my files since i have so much backup but this is insane... the biggest problem now is that i dont know whats causing this.. is it my OS or is it bad hard drives?? ive done quite a few virus scans with 2 antivirus programs.. norton and bit defender and everything came up clean.. i also ran a few hard drive tests and they all said my drives were working ok... what is the deal? can somebody please help me ive tried everything and searched everywhere online.. i dont know what to do anymore!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ago I started getting errors that said my files r unreadable and corrupt.. this continued happening till I got so many I had to restart the computer.. after starting back up I went to that drive in explorer and I noticed the volume label was now gone.. and when I clicked on it I got this error g:\ is not accessible the parameter is in correct.. I tried chkdsk and it did not work.. I noticed that it says there is no file system anymore.. I took the drive out and put it in my other computer and it asked me if I wanted to format it.. so I put it back in the old computer and it still didnt work so then I tried about 6 different data recovery programs and recovered about 20 files out of hundreds of thousands.. I have another WD 200 GB with an exact copy of everything that was on that drive I keep as a backup.. I hooked that one up to the secondary ide and started burning all of it onto dvds.. when I almost had everything copied.. my windows explorer froze up for some reason and I had to restart.. when I went to the backup drive in explorer I noticed that one also had no volume label anymore.. when I clicked on it I got the same error.. I tried to recover that drive but I got nothing at all this time..
The parition table or MBR or both are toasted. Since you've already done the data recovery stuff yourself, the odds of a successful profesional recovery are damn near toasted too.

i dont know what to do anymore!!
Format and start over ... you could goto professionals if you REALLY wanted to try

i take it nobody can help me?
You should probably take it as "i've waited not even a day and nobody has dropped everything to run and help me"

andrew

haha well thanx for the response.. ive posted on other boards and gotten a few replies.. but some.. nothing.. so im jsut wondering if the problem is just over a lotta peoples heads.. thats all.. i know how these message boards work too as more gets posted the posts start dropping off the page unless somebody adds a reply so i jsut wanted to keep it up there.. but anyways i was able to recover everything off my backup drive now for some reason it worked a while later.. i know its something to do with the file table.. but my real question is whats causing this and if i completely repartition the drive and all that would it still be good.. i did a 0 erase on it and repartitioned it and its in my other computer for now.. ill see how it goes...

Last edited: