Partition problems

Archon

First of all: Hello everyone! I really hope that you can help me out.

Some time ago, I had the great idea of installing SUSE Linux on my computer. A school deadline was coming up fast, so I decided not to make any backups of my data, and let the installer have its way with my hard drive.
At that moment, I had windows installed on one partition (C: ), and another, large partition for my data, games, etc (D: ). And the SUSE installer told me happily that it could repartition the D:, so that my data would remain intact and a Linux partition would be added.
I am not very familiar with partitions, and frightend by the possibility that I could mess up I let the installer do his thing with the defaults.

Of course, something went wrong while the installer tried to repartition the drive. It threw an error at me, but because it was already halfway the process I just hoped for the best and told that he should continue anyway.

The rest of the installation went well, and the bootloader and Linux started up without major problems.
The other two partitions on the other hand, were not as lucky. The GRUB bootloader does have an entry for the old windows partition, but when selected, I get the message:

Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
Chainloader +1

Strangely enough, the partition is recognized by SUSE, and can also be accessed...

Which can not be said for the other old D: partition. The file browser shows me that there is still a partition called D, but if clicked on it returns an acces error.

So, I stand before you, a broken and miserable man. I miss Windows, and I miss my old data partition even more. It contained all sorts of irreplacable things, and I want to know if it is salvagable, or that the data is lost forever. I don't dare to mess around with it, in case I make it worse.

If someone could tell me how I could reanimate the partitions, or how I should configure the bootloader, please let me know. But please do not give me any directions on what to do with my D: partition unless you are fairly sure that it will not wreck it. If all else fails, I might bring it to one of those way-too-expensive data recovery shops.
The C: drive is less sensitive, the worst thing that could happen is that I have to reinstall windows.

I use (or used) windows XP professional SP2, SUSE Linux 9.1, and GRUB 0.94.

fdisk told me:
Code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1       20321    10241406    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           20321      119133    49801500    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5           20322       94473    37372608    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6          107690      119133     5767303+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda7           94474       96521     1032160+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda8           96522      107689     5628640+  83  Linux

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Strangely enough, the partition is recognized by SUSE, and can also be accessed...
Well if you can access the data ... grab it, print your assignments and then deal with the other partitions (quite possibly by brute-force repartitioning everything or better yet segmenting your Linux to a different physical drive)

Archon

Yes, the C: partition is accesible, but the D: is not. There is no important data on C: though, just an inactive windows installation. The important files are on the D: partition, which I cannot reach.
  • So for my C: partition, I'm looking for a way to boot windows without having to reinstall it
  • And for my D: partition, I want to find a way to acces the data.

I'm sorry if that was not very clear...

I'm not very experienced with hard drives and partitions, so i'm not quite sure that I understand the brute-force solutions that you are suggesting. Could you please tell me what they mean and how I could do that?

Last edited: