Partitioning 4TB EXT HD for backups + storage - Win XP

Da Mail Man

Greetings all,

I may have started a similar thread but, can't find it - ugh!

DETAILS:
Dell desktop
Win XP
SP3
1TB internal SATA HD
Plenty of ram
3.2 ghz Processor
**4TB EXT HD

I crapped out my computer a month ago and still have the corrupted hard drive with data on it. I failed trying to attempt to restore the file system to it to make the drive boot-able and usable. In the past moth, I have been extracting data from it.

What I have done is purchase another 1TB SATA hard drive and started fresh with new installation of
Win XP, etc.

A few programs were recommended to me and I do have quite a few. The known issue is that WIN XP will only recognize a 2 TB MAX hard drive. My intent is to attempt to make (4) four 1TB partitions to clone/back up my NOW WORKING 1 TB hard drive in case I get another catastrophic failure. I could possibly opt for (3) 1TB partitions and a 4th 1TB partition for picts, docs, etc.

What could/would be the easiest way to proceed in this endeavor? At some point, I would like to do incremental back ups as time goes on and over-write the last back up to keep the back up on the EXT HD as up to date as possible.

beers

Staff member
Install something more modern than XP that supports higher capacity drives.

You'd have to partition the drive in GPT and use something like GPT Loader in XP. Easier to just use an OS that isn't 17 years old.

Da Mail Man

**CAPS ARE NOT YELLING AND ONLY SERVE TO TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS AND RESPONSES TO REPLIES.

Thanks for the reply...I intend on sticking with XP but, as you read, I need/want to back up what I have before considering anything else. I was hoping that there was a way to have XP recognize the 4TB ext HD and recognize each of teh 4 partitions I hope to "form" in it.

The other expanded question would be, if i backed up/cloned my 1TB HD to it, will I be able to connect it back to my computer to restore my computer to "working condition".

Darren

Staff member
Install something more modern than XP that supports higher capacity drives.

You'd have to partition the drive in GPT and use something like GPT Loader in XP. Easier to just use an OS that isn't 17 years old.
Seriously though, the amount of threads and problems I've seen stem from trying to make nearly 20 year old technology cooperate with modern standards is baffling.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply -

*I need assistance, NOT criticism. Was just reading about GPT last night. May try the viability of using 4TB as a storage/data disc.

aldan

telling you to move on from xp is assistance.it amazes me that these people are kind enough to try to help you after all your long and convoluted threads.you have been given good advice here.it seems to me you have a choice to make.keep beating your head against the wall and keep the status quo,or smarten up and move on.

Da Mail Man

telling you to move on from xp is assistance.
YES, IT IS - AND I APPRECIATE IT.

it amazes me that these people are kind enough -
YES, IT IS - AND i APPRECIATE IT.

- to try to help you after all your long and convoluted threads.
MATTER OF OPINION. I ASK QUESTIONS THAT COME TO MIND, BAD OR NOT. WHY THE "F" IS IT THAT, IF I DON'T RUN THE OPERATING SYSTEM ONE WANTS ME TO RUN, I AM "LEANED - ON". IT IS WHAT IT IS AND I HAVE WHAT I HAVE. IF THAT IS TOO DEEP FOR YOU OR ANYONE ELSE, "TURN THE PAGE" INSTEAD OF HAVING THE TREAD TURN INTO A SHOUTING MATCH.

you have been given good advice here.
AT TIMES

it seems to me you have a choice to make.keep beating your head against the wall and keep the status quo,or smarten up and move on.
I KEEP MY OPERATING SYSTEM AND SEEK KNOWLEDGE, ANYONE ELSE HAS THE RIGHT, THE ABILITY, AND THE REQUEST TO MOVE ON...I AM NOT GOING TO GET INTO "BASHING" HERE NOR DO I WANT THIS THREAD TO TURN OUT LIKE THAT................."NEXT".

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
IF I DON'T RUN THE OPERATING SYSTEM ONE WANTS ME TO RUN, I AM "LEANED - ON".
I wouldn't say leaned on, but we have certainly beat this to death. You have another thread, https://www.computerforum.com/threads/ext-4tb-hd-not-shown-in-win-xp.244278/, about the same thing. Our advice is that because XP doesn't support very large drives to upgrade. If you want to stay on XP that's fine, but you'll need to accept that you are not going to get the full 4TB. It's kind of like expecting to be able to use 32GB of ram on 32bit XP, you just can't.

beers

Staff member
*I need assistance, NOT criticism.
It wasn't criticism, it's the easiest path forward.

Since you want to intentionally take a path of additional complexity for minimal benefit, you'll be doing whatever the differential is in effort between the widely accepted solution and your own solution.

You've already been provided what you need to make this happen, good luck my man.