password and username

Shinnen

Hi,
I've bought a (newer) desktop and cannot remember my broadband username and password, so that I can enter it onto the new system. I am hardwired to the router. Is there a way I can get that information from my current system (the one I'm using to write this)?
Any help is appreciated.
..... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using a router, you shouldn't need to enter a username and password. If you have problems connecting to the internet then call your internet provider as they can help better than we can.

beers

Staff member
What's your setup? It's extremely uncommon for your average consumer LAN to require credentials for access to the wired environment unless you specifically set up your own 802.1x mechanism.

Are you simply looking to check email and similar on a web portal? The inquiry is super vague.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
Yes, whenever I've connected a new desktop to this system, it usually automatically connects to the network; but recently they changed the router (Rogers is having problems); and the new one hasn't solved the problem (of dropping 'all' connections). Be that as it may, this is not the problem here, since I normally have a connection, i.e. I'm using it now, on my alternative desktop. You may be on to something though. After installing Windows 7 on the new system, I copied a lot of files to it (from the old hard drive), in an attempt to short circuit the customization of my many applications, but inadvertently causing my current problem. (I should have known better, but ..... )
I will erase the obvious culprits, and see if that helps.
Is there a simply way of resetting the network settings and letting it do it's own thing on reboot?
Yes, I use it mainly for emails and light surfing.
Thanks for your help.
..... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check device manager to make sure the network driver was installed? Are you sure the ethernet port works?

Shinnen

Hi John,
Yes, I'm fairly sure that the ethernet port works; but when I was poking around the device manager, I was told that the controller drivers are not installed; so I'm going to see if I can find them tomorrow. (FYI, it's a Presario, series CQ5000). I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks.
.... john

Shinnen

Hi John/beers
Well, I downloaded the driver from the HP/Compaq site, et voila .... it works.
Yes, I know that this computer is a dog by modern standards; but it's
more than adequate for my needs. I'm replying, right now, on it.
Thank you both for your help. I appeciate it.
..... john