Password

irsmart

I have a computer with windows 2000 professional edition and I don't know the password. I don't have a boot disk and the cancel button won't work. HELP!! :eek:
Thanks...

Sebouh

remove the battery from the motherboard and put it back, and everything is reset, even time, this is a choice if youwant to risk it.

Verrona

There is another option, ask a friend if. They mite have b able to create a boot up disk and a copy of XP. Just make sure that it is a 2 user license. Willl be hard 2 find me thinks

V

irsmart

First of all, what does removing the battery from the moetherboard do besides resetting the clock? Second, I can make a boot disk from Windows 2000, but what do I do with a Windows XP disk?

Isn't there any way to get a program on the computer that hacks into it to find the password instead of doing risky buisness?

dave597

VIP Member
If you cant find the XP cd key, eg. abcde-asdfsas-asfdfas-asdasdf-asdfasdf then call microsoft they will give you another one.

However if you mean you lost the password for logging on - then it could be a bit harder. Try logging on as guest or as administrator. Or using a second os or live linux cd, access your files, find the registry files, (something.sam) then run a program called lophtcrack. but imo if you can access the files from say, dos then theres no point trying to fix the installation, just reinstall.

irsmart

I already tried logging on as guest and as admisistrator, and I have no idea how to install a Linux version to find the password.

dave597

VIP Member
the other ways i can think of involves either incldue a boot-disk with password crackers on it (very illegal) or a network hack (also illegal) but that involves a second computer and an installed NIC.

how did you manage to forget your password?

can you access your files from the command prompt? (indicates non-ntfs and non-protected files) If so, you could transfer some of the critical files over then reininstall.

Of course if you dont have any critical data, then I suggest you contact the company who sold you the computer to give you a windows disk and reinstall windows.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Boot to recovery mode, grab the SAM/SYSTEM files and use brute force :p (either machine bruteforce or torture bruteforce :p)

pepper7615

I tried messing with this on my fathers old laptop from work, it had a corp. image on it that was locked, I just had to end up wiping it clean.

Adam Warren

couldnt you..?

Wouldnt you just be able to go in under safe mode and change the password? i did it on my laptop before? i hit what ever f key it was on start up, went in safe mode, and changed my pasword! get back to me if it could be done :)