PC acting up no clue whats going on.

M1kkelZR

So my PC is acting up. For some reason if i install 4 RAM sticks (2x Corsair vengeance ddr3 and 2x crucial ballistix DIMMs, same latency and speeds) my machine doesnt always post or boot.

Then when it does boot, it then goes and works fine for about 10 minutes then completely freezes.
I've tried all DIMMs in each slot separetly and it posts fine. All 4 however, then it acts up.

A temporary fix that I'm still testing to see if it actually works is undervolting and underclocking the DIMMs to 1.4v and 1066 mhz. I'm gonna stress test it now but my heart has sunk.

its not the machine in my signature, as thats a work pc.
It's my old gaming machine rocking an i5 2500k and a gigabyte Z68p-ds3 rev 1.0 board.

I really hope its not dead now as I don't have the money to upgrade or replace any parts.

Anyone got any advice or know what the problem could be? Much appreciated <3

WeatherMan

Best bet would probably be sticking Memtest86+ on USB and booting to that to test each stick individually outside of windows

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually you have to increase voltage on motherboards when all 4 slots are used.

M1kkelZR

Well, I've had to cave and I'm using 2 sticks on single channel (shudder shudder). So now its time to hunt for a new 1155 board.

I did keep it running for about an hour but then it just BSOD on me with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. I've given up hope on this machine now.