pc boot problem

trekkie28001

My computer will make a long single tone but will not start up. It was working fine until I took the ram out. I put the ram back in and thats when it started it. I heard its surpossed to be in a certain way since I have 4 sticks. I don't know which ports to put them in. Its a pentium socket 7 166MHZ. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I heard its surpossed to be in a certain way since I have 4 sticks. I don't know which ports to put them in
Try going back to the original configuration. :)

trekkie28001

I don't remember the original configuration. Is there a way to tell. Someone told me they would be numbered like 1,2,3,4 and on the ports but I looked and didn't see them. It has numbers and stuff on it but its a group of numbers and combination of letters too.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You have 4 memory slots, arranged in two banks (bank 0: first two slots, bank 1: the third and fourth slot). In a bank the sticks must be arranged in pairs (two modules of the same type). So try to make pairs out of that 4 modules (if you’re lucky they are marked somewhat). Then put pair 1 into bank 0 and pair 2 into bank 1. If it doesn’t work, then put pair 1 into bank 1 and pair 2 into bank 0.