PC build with AutoCAD in mind (Low Budget)

Luke2

Hello, firstly I'd like to say that this forum has helped me gather much knowledge about building PC's and get my own PC build up and running with no issues. So thanks all of You for that. Now to my question.

I had a very good friend of mine ask me to put together a system which will be used for working with CAD software.

I do not have any experience with building CAD workstations, do I go for the Quadro videocard ? Is there any particular parts that I should be looking for instead of the regular cookie-cutter gaming builds ?
I would imagine computers like these need to be stable and somewhat powerful, however no gaming will be performed on this, so that poses me to ask the Pros here.

The budget.... Well, he told me "somewhere" in the range of $500, however I believe the flexibility is there, so if there is something that would be really worth getting in terms of performance, then I'm sure he would be willing to go to $700. Somewhere within that range.

Monitors/OS/Peripherals need NOT to be included in this. I am mainly looking for advice in choosing the core components such as MOBO/CPU/VC/PSU. All else I could possibly pick out myself. One last note, He will be running dual screens.

Thanks for Your time.
Luke

Last edited:

jonnyp11

well quadros and the ati versions are rediculously priced and i've heard they aren't much more powerfull than a gfx card of half the price about, but they have the tech to do more then them, idk the actual benefits of them.

Ignorantguy

It depends on the designing he will be doing. I used to be in CAD support for a pretty big shop but it was all 2D electrical and civil stuff; not large scale 3D modeling. If hes keeping it simple, even small 3D, any gfx card will do. Just make sure its supports OpenGL. Spec wise you won't find much difference but price yes cause you have consumer market (video game gfx) and business market (3D modeling gfx).

dug987654

CAD packages do not need a high performance video card. When talking about commercial software there is a huge difference between what is 'supported' and what is required for use.

I used to run (when I was at uni) Unigraphics NX7.5 and SolidWorks 2010 using my integrated graphics (HD4200). They are both far, far higher end packages than AutoCAD. This worked flawlessly, including when using 'studio' mode. In fact, there was no noticeable difference between this computer and the Dell Precision 2 CPU workstation I had at work (which had a ludicrously expensive Quattro card in it)!

Besides, $500 wouldn't get you a good workstation card on its own! What you do need is fast RAM and processor. Go for processor speed over cores as CAD modelling is a linear process, e.g. every boolean operation (extrude, revolve etc.) happens after the one before.

Hope that helps, Doug.