PC Build

Slick663

Hello,

So I'm helping a friend of mine with his first PC build. His budget is $1,000 US with a bit of wiggle room if it goes over. Here is the parts list that we worked on. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/km9HNq

His goal for this build is to play games like Red Dead 2, Breakpoint, Battlefield, etc at 1080p. He only has a regular TV right now, but wants to get a 144hz monitor when he can afford to get one.

The build its a bit over the budget and I thought if we need to we could change the CPU to a AMD Ryzan 7 3600x to save some money. Also there is no PSU since I have an extra one from a different build. Its a corsair RM750I, its definitely overkill for his build, but since I'm not using it that should save him some money.

I've done two builds before, but I used intel CPUs so I'm not as familiar with AMD CPUs. I figured since they have been doing well for the past couple years and they are typically cheaper, they would be better for him. I base this build off of the recommended settings for Red Dead 2 and went a bit over so that way it would future proof him for a while and give him the ability to get into other stuff like VR if he wanted to.

He is going to wait till black Friday/Cyber Monday to start buying parts and hopeful that will help with the price. We don't have a keyboard and mouse picked out yet.

I'd like to know if you guys have any suggestions on this build or if there are other parts that would be better and meet his goal.

OmniDyne

The 3700X is severe overkill for the RX 580. You could spend $200 on the Ryzen 5 3600 and achieve the same results. The water cooler is unnecessary and the stock Ryzen cooler will be more than sufficient.

The RX 580 is obsolete and with the money saved I'd go with a 1660ti or RX 5700.

I'd scrap the 500GB 970 Evo SSD and go with the 1TB Intel 660p SSD (it's not much more money) and add at least a 1TB hard disk.

Slick663

Ok I didn't know the RX 580 was obsolete so that helps a lot.

So what is the difference between the Ryzen 3600 and 3600X?

OmniDyne

Ok I didn't know the RX 580 was obsolete so that helps a lot.

So what is the difference between the Ryzen 3600 and 3600X?

Any Ryzen processor with an X in the SKU is factory overclocked, pretty much to its limits. Multiple professional reviews show the X variants aren't worth the extra money because the gains are minimal and a lot of newer motherboards make overclocking quite simple, so you're better off purchasing the cheaper variant because the X variants won't necessarily clock higher because they aren't binned higher.

Rough build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDRr7T

Will guarantee 60FPS and the parts are quality. You could change the graphics card to a different brand or model. I just chose a random 1660ti.

Last edited:

Slick663

My concern with that build is the motherboard. On Newegg in the description it says it only supports gen 1 and 2 ryzen processors, but for this build we are planning to use a gen 3.

So that would create an issue, wouldn't it?

Also I know he does want to get better then 60fps on some games. Especially if he gets a 144hz monitor. So would shooting for a RX 5700 meet that requirement?

beers

Staff member
My concern with that build is the motherboard. On Newegg in the description it says it only supports gen 1 and 2 ryzen processors, but for this build we are planning to use a gen 3.
X570 supports gen 2 and 3. I think they removed support for first gen Ryzen.

I'd roll back to the 3600 and put the money you saved into a faster GPU. If you aren't that particular about PCIe 4.0 you can roll a X470 or B450 board and save another hundo.

Also as above there are a few nvme options that will give you 1 TB for around $100.

OmniDyne

As I stated, that was a rough draft. Change it how you'd like. I was just giving a general idea of cost and parts because you definitely don't need a $170 motherboard for the Ryzen 5 3600.

Also I know he does want to get better then 60fps on some games. Especially if he gets a 144hz monitor. So would shooting for a RX 5700 meet that requirement?

It completely depends on the games and what visual settings your friend is willing to sacrifice. For 144Hz I probably wouldn't settle for anything under an RTX 2060 or RX 5700XT. But if your friend wants higher quality and higher frames, he's going to have to pay, and you'll be getting into the $400 to $500 range for graphics cards at that point.

But again, it depends on the game. Counter Strike will hit 200fps+ on mid-range cards at high quality settings. Newer AAA titles? Definitely not and the cards would struggle to maintain 144fps.

Check out YouTube and watch reviews of graphics cards. It will help you make a decision.

Last edited:

Slick663

Check out YouTube and watch reviews of graphics cards. It will help you make a decision.

Ok so i revised that part list a bit and this is what I have https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4wVJV7.

It's about the same price as the first one, but probably with better parts. I just picked a RTX2060 that was at a decent price just to see what the overall cost would be.

I'll do a bit more research tonight and see with RTX2060 would work best.

OmniDyne

Ok so i revised that part list a bit and this is what I have https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4wVJV7.

Unless your buddy wants to overclock or wants the additional features available on that motherboard, a $50-70 board would suffice. A 1TB SSD isn't necessary and that's why I chose the smaller EX900, but that's up to you. It's still much cheaper to go with a smaller SSD and a big hard disk for bulk storage.

Slick663

Unless your buddy wants to overclock or wants the additional features available on that motherboard, a $50-70 board would suffice. A 1TB SSD isn't necessary and that's why I chose the smaller EX900, but that's up to you. It's still much cheaper to go with a smaller SSD and a big hard disk for bulk storage.

We talked about overclocking and that something I'll have to talk with him to see if he still wants too. My concern with the SSD is that he is only going to have games on his PC and with how large some of the games he wants to play it will full up a 500gb SSD really quick, thats the reason I didn't include one.

Slick663

I tend to have my games on my SSD for better load times but my games aren't that big. I'm going to create a couple different builds based on everything and see which one he wants to go with. Thanks I think I have a couple solid build for him to chose from.

OmniDyne

I tend to have my games on my SSD for better load

A lot of games don't benefit that much from being an SSD. Some benefit more than others. Games should still generally be put on a hard disk because it's so much cheaper, but you do what you feel is best.