Pc does nothing

jesse kraus

Hello people,

I have another problem. When i turn on my pc everything seems to work, but my keyboard lights dont work and my monitor doesnt do anything too. All fans work and also all lights in it work. When i press thw restart button nothing happens And when i hold the on/off button also nothing happens. My gpu and cpu are overclocked and my psu is new. I never had any problems with overclocking before and one of my ram slots is broken.

Hope you can help me?

jesse kraus

I dont know how the ram slot broke exactly, but from what i remember the person that repaired it said i could not use it anymore. I will ask him since he was gonna try to fix my brothers pc anyways.

About the cmos and oc, i cant declock it because my monitor doesnt display anything and how do i clear the cmos?

beers

Staff member
i cant declock it because my monitor doesnt display anything and how do i clear the cmos?
Clearing CMOS removes your overclock.

The easiest way is to unplug power from your PC, discharge what's in there by hitting the power button, and remove the button cell battery from the board for a few seconds.

attachment.php

jesse kraus

Okay thanks. Ill try not to demolish everything

But uhmmmm... Whats the size of that thing?

Oh awesome. Its under my gpu...

Last edited by a moderator:

jesse kraus

Declocked it but nothing happens. Guess my mobo is dead. Everything is powered but the cpu doest get a signal from the power button and usb ports (because the motherboard doesnt connect anything with eachother. Thats probably also why my screen is black, because the gpu doesnt get anything to display. The cpu and gpu are fine otherwise the bios would have showed up with some message, same with the ram and hdd.

jesse kraus

Pls help me!? My new mobo doesnt seem to work. Only the mouse and front usb thing seem to get power. But pressing the power button doesnt work??!

And EVERY cable is connected like on my old board

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless its the exact same motherboard, the power front panel cables might not go in the exact same spots. What was your old motherboard and whats is your new one?

jesse kraus

I mean i put the cables in the spota with the same names. So i put the pwrsw on the pwrbtn pins, no doubt about that since my brother stared at the cables for half an hour. From what i could see there are also no loose cables in the front.
My new mobo is an asrock 970 extreme3 r2.0

The old one was a gigabyte ga-ma785gmt

AlienMenace

Their totally different boards, when you do get this straighten out. It looks like you might have to do a clean install of Windows.

You didn't connect it just like your old board did, since they are totally different boards. When you connected to "System Panel Header" on the Asrock, did you do what the motherboard manual said? Or did you just plug in the header wires like it was on the old board "Front Panel Header", they're the same thing just different names and not the same wiring format.

Another question? What cpu are you using. When you transferred the cpu over to the new board, did it drop in easy? You didn't have to push on it did you.

jesse kraus

I connected everything like it said in the manual, so thats alright i think. My cpu is an amd athlon 965 x4 or phenom, dont know which exactly. But a mobo should power up without a cpu right? Mine does nothing. Its no psu problem because the mouse thats always on gets power.

I also had no problems installing the cpu

jesse kraus

the computer wont start any os or other program, but im almost sure it will show up with the bios. and even if there was no processor in it, the other hardware should at least be turned on.

yes, the cpu is in there correctly. i also have another cpu in my house somewhere to make sure it has nothing to do with that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you put the standoffs between the case and motherboard in the correct spots and only use the required amount? Kinda sounds like you are shorting out against the case.

jesse kraus

im sure of the first thing i said, since our school computers had something wrong with the cpu once and the bios still displayed, with a message of the cpu not being found

oh wait didnt see your last message. oh wait, i forgot the standoffs..... wow. my case's standoffs look really different than on the internet. ill put them in there. thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you need 7 standoffs for that new motherboard. Some cases already come with standoffs in certain places.

jesse kraus

I disassembled everything, just to see if all the standoffs were there. They were all in place, so after putting everything back again and connecting the pc to the power again, STILL NOTHING HAPENNED. Pls help me....
Im starting to get a cable trauma

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But are the standoffs in the correct places? If you have that is touching the board where it shouldn't be then it will ground out and not startup. Try building it outside of the case on a piece of cardboard to see if it will start up. Do you have the 8 pin cpu power connector attached to motherboard?

jesse kraus

The standoffs are in the right place. The 8 pin power connector is connected. But how do i start the pc outside of the case. In my country most cardboard doesnt have a power button