pc doesnt start after cmos battery removed

elobire

Hi, i removed the cmos battery from my friends computer he just put a new motherboard and CPU and now the computer doesnt turn on at all. Before i removed the battery we where getting an error about the usb having a high voltage and restarting the computerbafer 15 seconds. The bios also said we needed to reset bios settings, however as the usb ports didnt work we couldnt do that.
Does anyone know what might have caused this problem? My friend said it might be because i tried to start the pc with the cmos battery removed and that it isnt the correct way to do it, however thats the way ive done it before.
Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can turn the pc on without the cmos battery. The battery only holds the bios settings in memory. Check the cables for loose connections and reinsert the battery.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Don't understand why you couldn't reset the bios because the USB didn't work?? Don't really get what starting it without the battery was supposed to do. Just needed to be unplugged. Hit the power button a few times. Take battery out. Hit the power button a few more times. Put battery back in. Plug it back up and fire it up.

ikeman

Your bios will work without a cmos battery, it'll just be slower at booting. It could be something with the PSU or Mobo, I cannot guarantee anything but they are the two mainly responsible for that.

Okedokey

The issue is you have something damaged connected via USB, or a USB port is malfunctioning. Find out which one and disable it in the bios.

To get in the bios, remove the battery again. While the computer is still plugged in (but shutdown) with the power switch off on both the wall socket and the PSU (cable still connected), hold down the power button for 30 secs.

Replace the cmos battery. Turn on the power at the wall and PSU and try and start the computer. If it starts enter the BIOS and set it to default settings (usually F5). Save and restart (usually F10).

Shutdown.

Remove all USB devices from the computer (physically). Start the computer.

Go through a process of elimination.
Use one device (mouse is the best first option).
Conect it to each and every USB port until you get a malfunction.
If you get no malfunction, then keep it connected and repeat with the next device (e.g. keyboard)... and so on.

You will either immediately get a USB malfunction error in the first round (with the mouse), indicating a faulty USB hub or port. To validate, try another device in the same port. If that works fine, try the mouse in another hub (ie back USB is different from front). If that then shows a malfunction your mouse is damaged.

You get the idea.

Once you have isolate by elimination the faulty USB port/hub or device, you can then disable it in the bios and physically remove any devices from it.

You can then go back and set the BIOS to your preferred settings.