PC Expansion Slots

PhoeniX51

I recently got an ATi X800XT AGP video card and when I installed it, it was almost touching my sound card in the PCI slot below it. I decided to move all my PCI cards down one slot since the new card would need proper cooling. But now, one of the slots in the back of the case is without a cover. I'm afraid the video card will suck in dust with the fan (although the fan is on the opposite side), or just anything might come into the case and mess things up. Should I be worried about this at all? Is there a special cover that I can buy like the original metal ones that were on there, or could I just tape the hole?

Thanks.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
even with the cover on the backplate your card will still get dust on it, thats simply the nature of air cooling. i wouldn't go worrying about it, just check you system out every so often and clear out any dust inside it

Geoff

VIP Member
You could use tape, but its not really a problem. Since your giong to be getting an incredible amount of dust in your computer if its covered or not, and i have 2 missing back panels on my case.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but having the back end sealed is better for cooling: you have (in a classic case) one direction of airflow rather than introduce turbulence. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Yes but having the back end sealed is better for cooling: you have (in a classic case) one direction of airflow rather than introduce turbulence. :)
I know, but since i have 1x 80mm and 1x 120mm sucking air into the case, and only 1x 80mm blowing air out, i needed to have some open spaces for the air to escape. (and yes i can feel air coming out of those empty slots.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I know, but since i have 1x 80mm and 1x 120mm sucking air into the case, and only 1x 80mm blowing air out, i needed to have some open spaces for the air to escape. (and yes i can feel air coming out of those empty slots.
we're not talking about your case :)