@pc eye and e521 problems HELP!

Denx

Since you seem to be a regular on this forum i will adress this to you because I think you will respond but others feel free to input aswell. I have been told that the 305watt PSU in dell's are an avg. wattage as a precaution and they can sometimes support over this although im not too sure if that is the truth or not. A new problem has occured for the first time aside from the video lag / skipping problem, my pc shut itself off tonight when I was runing a game, ventrillo and a explorer page. I have no idea if this is from heat, PSU, GPU or what. All I know is im getting fed up with this comp and I think I might have been taken for $850. Plz help me get my comp working.

PC eye

banned
My current core on the AMD64 3500+ Socket 939 model cpu is 40C which is to be expected for the older AMD model here. The newer lines of Core 2 Duos and AM2 cpus run cooler. As far as the 305w supply they use someone responded to that quite well on another thread about Dell systems by stating they were better for business then the home user. That can be seen in the thread here at http://www.computerforum.com/77943-how-good-dell-computers.html where the questions about how good Dells are was asked.

For a company upgrading their productivity, word processing, accounting workstations where the power needs are less and for keeping the overhead down like the electric bill since computers are known for high demand Dell uses a lower end board like a micro atx model in their smaller cases with the small for basic applications and generally light use while saving on the huge demand that would otherwise be seen. For a gamer who pounds on system resources with games that demand memory as well as more power due to higher end video cards a small supply doesn't work. For OCing as well as adding additional hardwares the power needs are much higher. You will also note that the model board in the system there will not likely be seen at newegg or another vendor where system builders expect more.

Your problem seeing system shutoffs and other problems is mainly the demands that gaming places on power. That is one of Dell's budget models best used for email, browsing, and simple desktop apps with some light gaming with the low demand on graphics. Since the demand is greater then the available power the system has no choice but to switch off unfortunately. The one thing you can do there is swap that model in for one of their top of the line models with the support for gaming. That's the drawback of buying prebuilt systems before knowing just what you will need. :(

Denx

I think I have literally one day left where I can get my refund based on their policy. I would also have to pay for shipping (probably $50+) and a 15% restocking fee. Considering I payed 700-800 Im not sure if its worth it if I can buy a power supply to solve my problems. Could I simply buy a PSU that is higher wattage and this would solve my problems and a GPU if needed or is the whole comp based around suckage.

PC eye

banned
You would have to make it will fit first. One thing about Dell cases is that they like to change the bolt pattern so you have to buy one of "their" replacements if one quits on you. Find or borrow a supply and hold it up near the rear of the case to see if the bolt pattern is way off. Dell does have larger supplies that should go right in. But you are still going to be left with one of their budget cases.