PC game controls

how do you play PC games?

• console controller preferably (xbox, etc.)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • mouse & keyboard preferably

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • console controller if i have to

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • depends on type of game

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • don't care / other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zombine210

can't seem to understand why anybody with a mouse & kb would plug such a barbaric device into their computer.

spirit

Staff member
You're all gonna hate me for this: I use an Xbox 360 controller. I'm just used to it and I play racing games mainly on my PC and I find it easier to play racing games with a controller than a keyboard and mouse.

Before I got into PC gaming I played games on an Xbox 360 so I guess that's why I ended up getting a wired 360 controller for the PC. I don't really play games very often anyway.

Also got a steering wheel and foot-pedals buried away somewhere too. Never really use those though.

zombine210

see, i grew up with nes & snes consoles. but when games started coming out in 3D, it just didn't make sense.

i have played PS3 games with my nephew: call of duty, borderlands2, ect. it makes my experience completely horrible.

i do have a wheel and pedals for racing games, both GT3 and GT4 on Playstation and GRID on PC.

that is almost necessary, but a handheld controller?

Turbo10

Xbox controller for racing games and third person games. Dunno why but TPS's feel better with a controller

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Keyboard and mouse. I have a playstation style controller for racing games, which is the only time I don't use a k/b and mouse.

spirit

Staff member
i do have a wheel and pedals for racing games, both GT3 and GT4 on Playstation and GRID on PC.

that is almost necessary, but a handheld controller?

I take it you find racing games easier to play with a wheel and pedals? See for me it's the other way round. Yes, I do have a wheel and pedals, but I always use the Xbox 360 controller. I just find it easier. I did try using the wheel and pedals but no matter how I set it up my driving just wasn't as good as it was with the normal Xbox 360 controller.

zombine210

I take it you find racing games easier to play with a wheel and pedals? See for me it's the other way round. Yes, I do have a wheel and pedals, but I always use the Xbox 360 controller. I just find it easier. I did try using the wheel and pedals but no matter how I set it up my driving just wasn't as good as it was with the normal Xbox 360 controller.

yeah, but a wheel is natural for racing simulators. you don't use a controller on a real car!

that's just weird man!
i don't know what to tell you.

spirit

Staff member
Well it could partly to be to do with the fact that I'm too young to drive, thus I've never driven a car before. That may be why the wheel and pedals don't work for me.

Or it could be that my wheel and pedals were quite cheap and maybe not any good anyway. :D

Turbo10

If I could afford a racing wheel and if I played enough racing games, then yes I would buy a wheel. But an Xbox controller is better than keyboard and mouse for driving definitely ;)

'yeah, but a wheel is natural for racing simulators. you don't use a controller on a real car!'

You also don't use a keyboard and mouse in real life if you're in the army on the frontline shooting, go figure :p

Justin

VIP Member
FPS - KB & Mouse
Everything else like racing, platformers, and open world games - Xbox 360 Controller

Punk

Staff member
I can't imagine playing AoE III, CS:S or Max Payne 3 with a controller so Mouse and Keyboard for me :)

jonnyp11

I mostly use a KB & mouse, but there are some games that go well with a controller, like a crappy port or a racing game. Although normally i'm too lazy to get the controller, so i dont play the racing games and deal with it on bad ports

wbt50

I mostly use a PS3 Controller.
I just can't play with a mouse and keyboard, it's probably because I have been a console gamer for the previous 14 years haha.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Anyone else here old enough to remember G25Racer? Justin and Ben probably do. He had a sick racing rig setup in his basement.