Pc gamer tv vs monitor?

zulu

my friends plays his xbox on his 40'' TV and he thinks hes cool becasue of it, i have my custom built PC which is cooler! but i know HDTV's arent gonna upgrade my graphics on a 1080HDTV since thats the max resolution is 1900x1080 and my 24'' monitor can run 1900x1200 on my games, are there any tv's that can match this? and wat is the pros and cons of using a tv against a monitor. what would you get? and why? thanks in advance!

Twist86

Well firstly I wouldn't buy because some person brags about the size of their TV. Let them enjoy what they have and you enjoy what you have.

I have both a 19 inch PC monitor and a 32 inch LCD TV which I game on my PC with 19 and the 32 inch I run emulators on.

PS1/PS2/NES/SNES/Sega (I own the consoles + games so piss off RIAA butt monkeys)

I find consoles to be better on my TV since I can play in my lazy boy and be....lazy. It comes down to personal prefference.

To get a TV with what you want your looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253198

I believe is something your after? Same resolution and 40 inches.

There really is no pro/con its down to personal preference. I can't use my 32 inch as a gaming monitor...it kills my eyes sitting so close to it...to much screen...21 inches = my max size.

Long as you have a powerful CPU/GPU you will be fine either way. Though personally if I didn't find the 32 inch TV I wouldn't buy one for gaming on PC...to expensive to get a low MS TV and most I know get headaches from anything past 24 sitting so close.

Last edited:

zulu

Thanks for your response! So if i got a 40'' TV, would look the same as it would on my monitor? i currently have a GTX 260 and planning on getting 1 more, but i want to know if it will decrease my graphic quality running on a TV instead of a monitor. and so the max res on a tv is 1900x1080 correct? so it will be NOT the same as my monitor.. what do you think? i mean even though the TV is HD, my PC games wont look as good as HD since there are no games that are HD yet? but i hope my graphics card will boost that up a bit. and compensate for the loss of 120 res, since its only 1900x1080. and NOT 1900x1200 like most monitors.

lovely?

most monitors are not 1920x1200. most monitors that are high definition are 1080p, which is 1920x1080.

games can be as HD as you want. some games support resolution as high as 2560x1600. your graphics card doesnt care how many pixels you are, it won't affect how the game looks, only how well it runs. i think your mistaking pixel count for picture quality. i can tell you that my 1280x1024 NEC monitor probably looks better than mostly all of the 1080p monitors for sale at newegg...

zulu

well i want to get a 40''+ TV but im only going to use to it watch movies and play my PC games, if you dont think its worth it, as far as picture QUALITY, im gonna scratch it. I want to know if it will look the same or will it be different compared to the monitor.

lovely?

it will look... bigger. the games will seem more spacious, and a better time can be had. if you have the budget and like the looks of a 40" tv for a gaming monitor, i say go for it.

viper110110

the resolution difference, 1080 -> 1200, is the effect of changing aspect ratio. On your monitor, at 1920x1200, you are viewing at a 16:10 aspect ratio, and therefore seeing either more vertical than your friend (16:9 aspect ratio) or less horizontal, depending on how the game is programmed.

JoeSamo

i have a 42 inch and sometimes i play my cod4 on it from my pc or i can play WoW its fun just sitting in front of a huge monitor and playing its really up to you.