Pc gaming rig or Ps3

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

well i was planning on getting a new rig for gaming but im having second thoughts now.

for a decent gaming rig to play cod4 or crysis you looking at either a system like a c2d,or a quad,lots of memory to run vista and dx10,powerfull gfx card so a 8800GTS or GT.

it costs alot and still i hear people have trouble playing crysis maxed on high spec systems.

sooooooo...i was thinking about getting a Ps3 and hooking it up to my lcd monitor:D

i want to play the new GTA when it comes out on Ps3 because i doubt it will come out on pc for at least another year after the ps3 release.

do you guys think a Ps3 would be the better option?
i could still buy a ps3 mouse and keyboard to play First person shooter games just like on the pc :)

and i wouldnt have to worry about a game not working because on a Ps3 it would :)

epidemik

Well a lot of it comes down to money. A PC will be better but also costs more. Also, a PS3 will be able to play current games till the PS4 comes out. If youre looking to play stuff on maxed, your gonna have to upgrade your PC every 9ish months.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Yeah, The PC is an expensive direction. The PS3 or 360 would be a great choice for those not looking to spend a grand on a gaming computer, then worry about all the subsequent upgrades.

jimkonow

ok, none of you have realized that this is called COMPUTERFORUM, not PS3FORUM.
lol.
my vote goes for computer

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Ok you haven't realized that the members of COMPUTERFORUM aren't all blind fanboys. :p:D A console is a very competitive platform against the PC, when it comes to games.

Motoxrdude

IMO i would go with the ps3. As you said, you can use a keyboard and mouse, just like you would with a computer. Also, you can run linux on a PS3 and it would give you the best of both worlds; games and pc with insane amounts of cpu power (even though linux only utilizes one core on the ps3, but is still extremely fast).
O and linux is native on the ps3, no hack required :p

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I would say get a computer because theres tons of other things you can do besides gaming. And even if you only want it for gaming, a computer will always have the lead by being easier to play with in shooting games...

Thats only IMO...

zaroba

how is a ps3 competitive to a PC when it comes to gaming? how can it even compare?
all you can do on a ps3 or any counsel is just play the game as it comes. once you play threw it its done. The only benefit to any counsel is that its (usually) cheaper then a PC and more portable.

with a pc you can MOD most games so its never the same game and always offers a new challenge and thus gives the games drastically more stuff to do. You can add new graphics, new levels, new enemies, new weapons, new quests, make it harder/easier, the possibilities are nearly limitless. some games have thousands of modifications to offer you countless varieties of game play.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
how is a ps3 competitive to a PC when it comes to gaming? how can it even compare?
all you can do on a ps3 or any counsel is just play the game as it comes. once you play threw it its done. The only benefit to any counsel is that its (usually) cheaper then a PC and more portable.

with a pc you can MOD most games so its never the same game and always offers a new challenge and thus gives the games drastically more stuff to do. You can add new graphics, new levels, new enemies, new weapons, new quests, make it harder/easier, the possibilities are nearly limitless. some games have thousands of modifications to offer you countless varieties of game play.

Cheaper. As stated above. No need to upgrade. Simplicity. No drivers, no OS medium required. Games just work, no errors unless your disc is dirty or scratched. The games are fully optimized. Many people consider the console controller better with racing and fighting games, it's also easier to just plop on the couch and relax with. Better developer variety. Many PC developers are changing priority to Console development. Did you know that since Crysis has been released only 100,000 units have sold? UT3 has only sold 30,000. Console games sell much better, which makes for a better gaming environment, both online and through enthusiasm of innovation and willingness.

I happen to love mods, no PC game of mine has gone unmodded.. But exactly how many PC gamers use mods? I know quite a couple who don't even bother. In this group, modding is not a benefit, not a selling point.

Hell, there are many disadvantages over a PC as well. I recommended a Console because the OP doesn't sound like he has an unlimited budget. He also doesn't sound too enthusiastic about having to shell out a couple hundred dollars when he finally has to upgrade. With a console you just don't have to worry about these things.

Archangel

VIP Member
all you can do on a ps3 or any counsel is just play the game as it comes. once you play threw it its done.

hmmh... on a pc that is soooo different ;) what for example the split screen gameplay, wich only consoles have? sorry, but saying a console isnt competition for pc's when it comes to gaming is jsut not true, because they most definately are.

with a pc you can MOD most games so its never the same game and always offers a new challenge and thus gives the games drastically more stuff to do. You can add new graphics, new levels, new enemies, new weapons, new quests, make it harder/easier, the possibilities are nearly limitless. some games have thousands of modifications to offer you countless varieties of game play

Ok... how much games have you modded? or for how much games did you use a mod? because for me, most games i play on my pc dont even have any mod's for them. (and some do, but the mods are sooo crappy made, they arn't even worth the harddrive space they take) also, a mod usually doesnt change the game's engine, so its still exacly the same game, jsut a different map, vehicle or weapon. and usually in mod's they didnt gave balance a lot of thought, kinda screwing the multiplayer too.

anyway, my vote would go for a pc nevertheless, I mean, I do have a xbox360, and I am quite happy with it, nevertheless I play way more on my pc than on my xbox :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'd go with PC, Shane.

Yeah, the Xbox and the PS3 both look great, but I think that you'd be kicking yourself if you got one instead of a PC.

Like people have said, you can put an OS in the PS3, but it sill isn't a PC is it...

I know, I don't really have any statements or anything to back up my opinion, but I'd go for the PC.

zaroba

hermeslyre said:
Many people consider the console controller better with racing and fighting games
can easily get xbox/ps2 style controllers for a pc.

hermeslyre said:
it's also easier to just plop on the couch and relax with.
wireless pc controller and hook the pc up to a tv :p

hermeslyre said:
He also doesn't sound too enthusiastic about having to shell out a couple hundred dollars when he finally has to upgrade. With a console you just don't have to worry about these things.
upgrade? like when you have to shell out a couple hundred to go from a ps1 to a ps2 or to a ps3 and then have to buy new games? or to whatever will be coming out next year thats better? course, you could just as easily not upgrade and keep playing the older games, just like you can do with a pc.

For less then 500 dollars (and some parts from his current pc) he could get a core 2 duo system that will play most games on the market on medium to high settings. mobo can be less then 50 bucks, c2d is less then 200, 4gb of ram is less then 100. a lower end geforce 8 series card is less then 150 as well. then he just uses his current case, hard drive, mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

hmmh... on a pc that is soooo different ;) what for example the split screen gameplay, wich only consoles have?
wow...split screen. your right that is so amazing. using half a screen to get multiplayer. surely doesn't compare to the vast number of PC games that are multiplayer via the internet or lan and let you use FULL screens, and have been since the win 3.1 ages :p

Ok... how much games have you modded?
most games i do and have played i modded, i look for mods for almost every game i install.
a few i can think of right now without even looking are: Oblivion, sims, sim city 2k/3k/4, morrowind, gta 3/vc/sa, supreme commander, civ 2/3/4, far cry, shall i go on?

also, a mod usually doesnt change the game's engine, so its still exacly the same game, jsut a different map, vehicle or weapon
nawww, really? isn't that what i said in my original post? it's like a different game since you can have completely different levels, characters, quests, etc, etc. you could call it a different game that just uses the same engine.

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
can easily get xbox/ps2 style controllers for a pc.

I know, but it's just more money laid down. Buy a console and get one for free! :D

wireless pc controller and hook the pc up to a tv :p

Sure, sure.. but once again it's not native and requires extra cash (I harp on this because like many gamers, I'm cheap ;)).

upgrade? like when you have to shell out a couple hundred to go from a ps1 to a ps2 or to a ps3 and then have to buy new games? or to whatever will be coming out next year thats better? course, you could just as easily not upgrade and keep playing the older games, just like you can do with a pc.

For less then 500 dollars (and some parts from his current pc) he could get a core 2 duo system that will play most games on the market on medium to high settings. mobo can be less then 50 bucks, c2d is less then 200, 4gb of ram is less then 100. a lower end geforce 8 series card is less then 150 as well. then he just uses his current case, hard drive, mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

If you're giving me a choice between a $400 gaming PC and a $400 console.. I'd be a fool to pick the PC. A lower end 8 series card? What are you planning on playing, Doom 3 and far cry on medium? :p A console will last a good half decade, beginning to end, while that PC you put together will be hard stressed to last even a year or two. Then what's OP gonna do? Sigh and lament that instead of enjoying a PS3 or 360, and GTAIV, MGS4, RE5 (!!), and a ton of other "console first" or console exclusive games.. he has to pull out his wallet and lay down a couple hundred for a competent graphics card.

I love PC's. I would choose one over a console anyday, but we're not arguing which one is better (PC wins), but which one might be better for nevakonaza. I'll say this.. If OP has the money, and doesn't need it for something really important (I dunno, rent), and can stomach the upgrade he'll have to make in a year or two, PC all the way baby. If he's cheap, underfunded/unemployed (exception: moocher of friends and/or parents), or otherwise financially educated (hehe), he should avoid the cash vaccum known as the Personal Computer like the plague. IMO. :cool:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow thanks for all the replies everyone,

i know pc gaming is better in alot of ways with mods etc but your forever having to upgrade them which is annoying and then you get errors and stuff.
damn i just want to play:D

i heard the Ps3 has like 8 processors or something and that realy good cell processor.

bigl2007

i guess im late but

i guess im late to respond to this topic but i say ps3 i like the fact you can just pop games in there install and start playing its a great benefit to have pc has bettery quality games but ps3 has better playability i feel cuz you can use the controller pretty easily and get used to it me i have a ps3 myself i have heavenly sword and i like the features of the controller like with the wireless ps3 controller you can move it in the direction you want your arrows to go in heavenly sword its a great feature and brings your gaming to life sorta like the nintendo wii controller does but i prefer ps3 controller.

Archangel

VIP Member
that is so amazing. using half a screen to get multiplayer. surely doesn't compare to the vast number of PC games that are multiplayer via the internet or lan and let you use FULL screens, and have been since the win 3.1 ages :p.

and.. sitting alone in a room with a pc, instead of playing together with a friend sitting next to you playing on the same screen is oh so way better because of?..