PC no longer powers up_ Help!

simbeb

Hi,

I just replaced my 2 hard drives by two new ones. The master drive obiously has Windows installed on it. I just had to remove my 2 memory modules to be able to remove the drives_didn't touch anything else. Put the memory back, installed the 2 HDDs and screwed them on the chassis. Closed the case. Pressed the power button and...nothing!

I have since checked all power cables hundreds of times: case to mainboard, PSU to mainboard and PSU to socket. Everything is in its place. What do you think happened?

Cheers.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Did you plug the power cable into the back of the pc? Or flip the switch on the back where the power plugs in.

wicked859

banned
I would try to put the old hdd's in and see if it powered up, that way u know if it's something to do with the new hdds (wich I think it probably is).

simbeb

Hi,

Yes, that's a rather basic expectation if you want any power! Everything is definitely in place. I really fear that the case's connection or button has failed, but there's no other way to check than actually moving the whole computer to a new case i suppose. Any other suggestion?

Cheers for your reply.

simbeb

wicked859 said:
I would try to put the old hdd's in and see if it powered up, that way u know if it's something to do with the new hdds (wich I think it probably is).

Hi,

I can't see how a HDD could prevent the PC from powering up. I used it yesterday in the same PC and it was fine. The only difference today is that I actually installed it and secured it in the case. Something must have gone wrong in the process...

wicked859

banned
You could be suprised though, I was in the process of adding a new video card to my pc and it would power up unless i removed the video card?? (am i the only one this has happened to?)

simbeb

Hi,

I removed the front panel of the case to check the power switch. Apparently, the HDDs were pressing against the panel and might have done some damaged to it. The process of dislodging the HDDs must have revealed the problem. Although I can build a PC from scratch, I have no knowledge of electronics, and I wouldn't be able to repair the power switch_ Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new case!..

Any suggestion?

MGD

how about buying a replacement switch? or, failing that, cut out the old one, buy a new one and make a housing for it, and glue that in

Big_j

I bought a dual cathode light kit and it had a switch attached to a slot cover which would waste a pci slot, and it's anoying to reach to the back of the case just to turn it on or off. So I bought a two way switch (on/off) from walmart for $1.50 and put it on the front of the case. It wasn't the same size, so I had to cut the wires and wire tape them on. And it looks good:
switch.jpg

http://www.datawhore.org/hostedimg/BigJ/switch.jpg

The point here is you absolutly should not have to buy a new case, and you don't have to be an electrition. it's rather easy to fix it if you just look around!