Pc not booting

Ragmanjones

New Member
Hello all. Names Ragman (had to use ragmanjones because ragman was taken :mad: )

Anyway, My Current Pc is getting rather old and stinky so I went ahead and ordered an "upgrade" that is probably still considered old and stinky. Just want someting I can play a few games (Team fortress 2 and EVE:online) on and work with GFX media (photoshop and 3dsm mostly, of which i will be getting more ram in the future. if not a new pc altogether when i get the monies)

Specs:
Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual Core
2x Transcend 1024MB PC5400 DDR2
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB w/DVI & VGA
Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 320GB, 7200rpm, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
450 watt PSU

Now, the new Mobo wouldn't fit in my old case so I got a new one as well. So, I got everything and plugged it all in (still waiting for video card. its on back order) but when I boot it up it only stays on for 4 seconds each time.
No beeping. No booping. Just the Blue LED light up for 4 seconds then *off*.

I've asked on may a forums and I'm getting mixed answers:

Some say it does not support onboard GFX and needs a Video card to start up
Some say its not starting because it does not detect a fan and/or video card (a fail safe of some sort I suppose).
Some say I simply wired something wrong (I've been through the manual about 5-6 times now.)
Some say its defective (wont know until my Video card and replacement fan gets here. both of which are on back order :mad: )

Lets hear what you guys make of it.
 
Last edited:
That motherboard has onboard video and I'm assuming you have a monitor hooked up to the onboard graphics? Did you install the standoff's before attaching the motherboard to the case? Did you attach the cpu heatsink/fan tight enough? You need to doublecheck everything. You may have to hook up everything to the motherboard outside of the case to determine whether or not its a short.
 
That motherboard has onboard video and I'm assuming you have a monitor hooked up to the onboard graphics?
Yes. Monitor was plugged into the VGA port
Did you install the standoff's before attaching the motherboard to the case?
Yes. The mobo came with 6 brass risers to put in place first.
Did you attach the cpu heatsink/fan tight enough?
The Stock fan did not fit the Mobo (Fan was 3 pin mobo is 4 pin) but the heatsink fit well. Anyway I could get the fan to work or Do I HAVE to get a 4 pin fan? All the 4pin fans on Tigerdirect and too big for the case I have (except one but its on unavailable) :(


Also, I heard that if the Mobo is secured too tightly, it will not start.
 
Last edited:
Obviously you have an overheating problem because you aren't running a fan. Most 3 pin fans will fit a 4pin connector, try it.
 
Obviously you have an overheating problem because you aren't running a fan. Most 3 pin fans will fit a 4pin connector, try it.

really? I thought It'd take longer than 4 seconds (literally 4 seconds each time) for an auto shut off?

If i disable the fan on this pc, it'll stay running for 5-10 minutes before I get a thermal error. Granted this machine runs a single core, though...

Any particular way the fan needs to be plugged in?
 
Got the fan in and it works now.

Also, the PC boots up when I change the voltage on the Psu from 150 to 230, but the Disk Drives and (I think) the CPU don start up. With the PSU on 150 volts, everything starts but for 4 seconds =(

Im thinking I might need a stronger PSU... The on I have is off-brand.
 
Back
Top