PC on all the time?

PPBart

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but curious to see what is current opinion. Do you leave your PC on 24/7 ?

beers

Staff member
Depends on the PC. File server, yes. Any others can afford a sleep cycle unless I'm actively doing some compression or similar

Darren

Staff member
No, I don't see the point. SSD's and even newer mechanical drives boot up Windows pretty darn quick, especially on Windows 10. Leaving it on all the time not only consumes more electricity but also will reduce the lifespan of your components, although usually this is fairly neglibible. Fans are the main thing I think of going bad due to being on all the time. Also Windows 10 in particular, but older Windows versions too, rely on shut downs and restarts to perform updates. I shut my computer off pretty much whenever I leave my room for more than 15ish minutes.

PPBart

...I shut my computer off pretty much whenever I leave my room for more than 15ish minutes.

Sounds like my wife -- she has a desktop in her craft room, always shuts it down when out of the room for more than a short while; that machine probably runs on average only 2-3 hrs/day. I have a second desktop in my home office, which I typically turn on when I get up in the morning and shut down when I go to bed; that one runs about 15-18 hrs/day.

Darren

Staff member
Sounds like my wife -- she has a desktop in her craft room, always shuts it down when out of the room for more than a short while; that machine probably runs on average only 2-3 hrs/day. I have a second desktop in my home office, which I typically turn on when I get up in the morning and shut down when I go to bed; that one runs about 15-18 hrs/day.
If I'm at home I'm pretty much guaranteed to be on my computer, so it still gets plenty of use. Between work and school though I of course turn it off. If I'm leaving my room for more than 15 minutes I'm likely leaving the house. :D I kinda live in here.

Darren

Staff member
We turn off all our machines and such each evening.
Nothing makes me cringe more than when I ask a customer at work when they last restarted their computer (particularly on Windows 10).

"Uhh, I think a couple weeks ago."

mistersprinkles

Nothing makes me cringe more than when I ask a customer at work when they last restarted their computer (particularly on Windows 10).

"Uhh, I think a couple weeks ago."

When we were 17, back around 2000, my friend got a new Athlon machine and left it on without restarting for four months. I don't know how there wasn't a blackout in all that time but there wasn't.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
MY computer has the wake timer go off at 7AM and it's on until I go to bed. When I'm not using it, I have BOINC running in the background doing SETI, Enigma, and World Community Grid.