PC Optimizer--Bad or Not?

squegee

I got this PCO stuck in my computer somehow. Occasionally I get a big box telling me to register blah, blah etc. I did a 'spyhunter' scan, it said it needed to be removed but I have to pay them to do it. I then ran the microsoftsafteyscanner and nothing wrong was found. Something to be concerned about or should I just ignore it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Both PC optimizer and spyhunter is garbage. Get rid of them both. However, still follow the suggestion and run those programs in that link that salvage-this posted. If you have pc optimizer, then I'm sure you have others that need to be deleted.

squegee

Both PC optimizer and spyhunter is garbage. Get rid of them both. However, still follow the suggestion and run those programs in that link that salvage-this posted. If you have pc optimizer, then I'm sure you have others that need to be deleted.

It's gone ! (PC Optimizer) hopefully it's not hiding somewhere else, but it doesn't show up on program files in e/drive. I only ran the first two files you recommended, the junk remover seemed to do most of the work. Also got rid of spyhunter myself.
Thanks for the advice!

Okedokey

It's gone ! (PC Optimizer) hopefully it's not hiding somewhere else, but it doesn't show up on program files in e/drive. I only ran the first two files you recommended, the junk remover seemed to do most of the work. Also got rid of spyhunter myself.
Thanks for the advice!

I recommend completing the process as you will certainly still be infected elsewhere.

Okedokey

Look, to be honest its hard to tell. If I were you I would back up your files, reinstall windows and change your email and banking passwords. From there you should be fine.

squegee

Look, to be honest its hard to tell. If I were you I would back up your files, reinstall windows and change your email and banking passwords. From there you should be fine.

well as far as money goes my accounts are pretty well dried up...they won't get much out of me! okedokey-artichokey !

Okedokey

yeah, but they can get a credit card in your name ;)

Anyway, im sure you're fine. Windows XP gains a significant performance increase with a reinstall. Just make sure you have your sata drivers on a floppy and your network drivers on a usb prior to installing. That way you can successfully connect the HDD and connect to the internet to update the rest. Make sure you have backed up everything too.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
well as far as money goes my accounts are pretty well dried up...they won't get much out of me! okedokey-artichokey !

Hahaha same thing said one of the people I know from work lol!

But anyway all these programs for optimizing PC are useful ONLY if your computer is old and slow and you want FOR EXAMPLE play 720p video in VLC media player without lag.
On my 15 years old PC I use one good program for that and thanks to it it allows me to do some stuff which would actually lag if not using that specific program.
So yeah in these cases those programs can be useful.
But otherwise not.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha same thing said one of the people I know from work lol!

But anyway all these programs for optimizing PC are useful ONLY if your computer is old and slow and you want FOR EXAMPLE play 720p video in VLC media player without lag.
On my 15 years old PC I use one good program for that and thanks to it it allows me to do some stuff which would actually lag if not using that specific program.
So yeah in these cases those programs can be useful.
But otherwise not.

So your saying that malware such as pc optimizer and speedypc should be used just so you can watch video without lag? What are you smoking dude? This thread wasn't about how or what to use to clean your pc. The programs he mentioned are crap and considered malware.

Please read and correctly understand what the OP is asking before replying and don't go off into a rant.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
So your saying that malware such as pc optimizer and speedypc should be used just so you can watch video without lag? What are you smoking dude? This thread wasn't about how or what to use to clean your pc. The programs he mentioned are crap and considered malware.

Please read and correctly understand what the OP is asking before replying and don't go off into a rant.

I wasn't talking about PC optimizer.
I was talking in general that not all optimizing programs are crap or malware.

Jesus...:cool:

Shlouski

VIP Member
I don't know as much as john, so he can correct me if im wrong, but I don't understand why people have so many problems with this sort of thing.
Like most things computers need maintaining too and a bit of common sense goes a long way. Do a scandisk once in a while and if you had a HDD do a defrag after, its like reorganising your office and papers, so you can work more effectively and your not hunting around looking for stuff. Other than anti-virus software or something like malwarebytes, you don't need anything else to look after your PC.
There are other reasons for a slow PC, e.g component malfunction, a full hdd, an aging PC which just does not have enough performance to run more modern programs, speed up software would never work in these circumstances, if ever.
Also don't download crap from websites that you don't know are 100% legit.

Last edited:

Okedokey

I wasn't talking about PC optimizer.
I was talking in general that not all optimizing programs are crap or malware.

Jesus...:cool:

Never seen one that doesn't fall into the crap section of the software pile. Most of them do very little, or actually make things worse. All of them do things that can be done via windows.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Never seen one that doesn't fall into the crap section of the software pile. Most of them do very little, or actually make things worse. All of them do things that can be done via windows.

That's true.Most of them ARE crap.
But not all of them.
The one I use on my 15 years old PC speeds things up so I can watch 720p movies in players without lag,I can play games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 without lag and a lot more.
Without that program,everything works like crap lol.

So yeah...not all of them are crap.

I understand if you people do not see a difference,but that's because the hardware specifications you have are very good and strong.If you have a very old computer like me on the other hand,you would definetely see a difference.
Thank God this 15 years old PC I have is not the only one I have,but it's my favorite one. :D