PC problems with extender router

I just connected a dlink router used as a extender router. The wireless works on the dlink and the internet can be accessed with my iphone.
The extended router works with a spare PC plugged into the dlink extended router port and the internet can be accessed by the spare PC.

My problem is another PC with windows XP with a wireless pci card shows it connects to the dlink but it will not connect to the internet.
On the XP screen the blue access ball is there and show the local and the internet is connected, but when I click on the Mozilla browser I get an error saying I'm not connected to the internet.
Mozilla or Chrome says not connected.

What can I do?

I forgot to say, the wireless is not protected, and is open to anyone.
The fact that the blue XP ball is there and says I'm connected to the internet, but the PC browsers say I'm not connected to the internet. The wiifi is on and why my iphone works but not the PC puzzles me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that the blue XP ball is there and says I'm connected to the internet,
You mean down by the clock? Xp doesn't have the ball, Vista does. Xp network icon is just the 2 monitors, Vista is 2 monitors with the globe.

Do an Ipconfig and see what IP address you are getting. If its starts with a 169.254.xxx.xxx its a private address. Meaning you don't have internet. Without knowing how you have everything connected, its most likely a configuration issue.

Your right, sorry, it is Vista. The ipconfig says 192.168.0.111

I did notice on the problem PC, the system keeps trying to identify the signal. It says local and internet connected, but I keep seeing the system "Identifying unknown"

Would that be the extended router or that PC.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter may help as well.

I just repeated the dlink router extender programming and found something interesting.

I had to reboot the router after changing the setting, but I found the router would not accept or keep the changes. I did this six times before it kept the new settings. Each time I gave it a different last three digits just to keep up, but when it rebooted the new setting were gone and the ipconfig was empty at the last line.

This last reprogramming a few minutes ago I let the router sit idle at the reboot or not reboot page for about 10 minutes and hit reboot. When I checked the ipconfig, somehow the last three digits were 250, and I did not try that number.
I checked my iphone wifi and I do pickup the dlink wifi so that part still works.
I'll check the wireless PC tomorrow with these last changes and post my findings tomorrow.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the IP of the extender within the range of the original router?

example

Router 192.168.1.1
Extender 192.168.1.2

I know Vista always had an issue with identifying the network and not giving internet access. But if the Globe shows up on the connection icon down by the clock, you should have internet.

I ran a Ethernet cable to the up stairs to the extender router so it's plugged into the main router. The PC with a wifi card is about 50 feet away and just sits there "Identifying."

The blue ball is there and the ball says when I hover over it says, Local and internet, it also says I'm connected to the Dlink, but the system is still trying to Identify the wifi, before it lets me in.

What stops the identifying the signal?

I found again that the dlink router is not saving the changes I made to make it a extender router. Every tine I make the corrections and choose the reboot to save option, the dlink waits 15 seconds to reboot but does not reboot. It just cuts off.

When I check the ipconfig the 192.168.0.222 or any other setting is blank. When I reset the dlink I can acess it and the factory setting is again correct.

So the dlink is not saving any information during reboot. Is there another option I'm missing.
I removed the DCHP option, I changed the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.222. What an I missing?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the dlink isn't saving anything then its shot and you need a new one. How old is this router?

I picked up another dlink router DIR-625, new in the box. It's been sitting a few years, but never been used.

I configured the dlink as a extender router at my desk with a Ethernet cable right into the main router and the dlink shows up as 192.168.0.08.
The main router is 192.168.0.01.
The dlink works great as long as it's plugged into the power and main router at my desk, but when I unplug the dlink and move it to the upstairs location and use the Ethernet cable ran new up stairs, the dlink router ip address show up as 169.254.236.52. and I don't have local or internet.
I tested the upstairs Ethernet cable back down to the main router with the rj45 tester and I get all 8 lights in perfect order.

The new dlink extender router works on one cable but not another, or I'm still missing something in the router setup.

Any help is welcome.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the the cable you ran upstairs is coming from the the first router then it should work the same way. You are plugging it into an lan port on the second router correct? Disable dhcp on second router as well. You may have to power cycle both routers to for the second one to get the correct data. You can also try manually changing the internal ip of the first router to 192.168.0.1 and then the second router to 192.168.0.2

I found the problem. The antenna on the pci wifi card was bad. I replaced the antenna and everything is working now.

Very strange, every part was new, just older stock, usually the old stuff is better than today's crap/

thanks for the posts, it helsp keep us going.