PC Purchase Dilemma- Please Help!

olrion

I am currently looking into buying a new desktop PC and I thought it would be wise to seek advice from computer experts to ensure I don't make an expensive mistake.

I have been looking at the iMac models but they seem to be more expensive than other PCs (Dell, Advent etc.) on the market. I have also found that the iMac models don't seem to offer as good specifications (CPU speed, Memory, Hard Disk space etc.) as other PC manufacturers. Are they more expensive simply because they are manufactured by Apple or are they just verygood and flexible systems?

It has been so long since I have bought a PC I have to confess I am out of touch with todays computer capabilities, baring in mind the last PC I bought was a Pentium 4 with a 3Ghz processor about five or six years ago.

I have read that Apple computers are good for design work and although I am not a professional artist I am looking to buy a PC/Mac for design purposes. I don't want to use it for anything else really as I have a PC that just about does everything I want it to, except have the memory capabilities to handle large images.

I have used a PC in the past with Photoshop for my design needs which is a fairly good combination but am I missing a trip not owning an iMac if I require a computer purely for manipulating scanned images or using a tablet?

I would appreciate if someone who knows the current PC market inside-out or someone who has both a Mac and a top spec PC could clarify the best approach. Do I spend £800-£900 on a iMac or can I get a better PC (with art package and better spec) for the same price or considerably less?

If you are still reading at this point, thank you for your time and I look forward to some friendly and helpful advice. In todays financial climate I can't afford to make too many purchases and I want to make sure I get this one right!

Thanks,

Adam

ZeroWing

I am currently looking into buying a new desktop PC and I thought it would be wise to seek advice from computer experts to ensure I don't make an expensive mistake.

I have been looking at the iMac models but they seem to be more expensive than other PCs (Dell, Advent etc.) on the market. I have also found that the iMac models don't seem to offer as good specifications (CPU speed, Memory, Hard Disk space etc.) as other PC manufacturers. Are they more expensive simply because they are manufactured by Apple or are they just verygood and flexible systems?

It has been so long since I have bought a PC I have to confess I am out of touch with todays computer capabilities, baring in mind the last PC I bought was a Pentium 4 with a 3Ghz processor about five or six years ago.

I have read that Apple computers are good for design work and although I am not a professional artist I am looking to buy a PC/Mac for design purposes. I don't want to use it for anything else really as I have a PC that just about does everything I want it to, except have the memory capabilities to handle large images.

I have used a PC in the past with Photoshop for my design needs which is a fairly good combination but am I missing a trip not owning an iMac if I require a computer purely for manipulating scanned images or using a tablet?

I would appreciate if someone who knows the current PC market inside-out or someone who has both a Mac and a top spec PC could clarify the best approach. Do I spend £800-£900 on a iMac or can I get a better PC (with art package and better spec) for the same price or considerably less?

If you are still reading at this point, thank you for your time and I look forward to some friendly and helpful advice. In todays financial climate I can't afford to make too many purchases and I want to make sure I get this one right!

Thanks,

Adam

Why not put a PC together and build around the idea of photo editing? Itll save you money and its one more thing u can do.