Pc upgrade for recording/streaming

Marethyu

Hey everyone,

Recently i decided that I want to start recording and streaming my gameplay-mostly overwatch atm. I thought i had pretty decent build, but I got a bit surpised, when i found out i can record at very low res which is sometimes laggy (high res is very bad), and the stream is also laggy. Using OBS
My build:
i5 2500
MB:asus P8Z68-V LX socket 1155
GPU: asus radeon hd 6950
Mem: 16GB

What is bottlenecking my pc and what would you recommend as first upgrades? I was thinking about i5 6600k or 7600k with new mobo. Budget around 350$ But cheaper would be cool, and next upgrade during fall

Thanks in advance for answers, and if u need any more specification just let me know

Darren

Staff member
Better GPU would be first upgrade. If you're streaming then Ryzen will serve you better than an Intel chip at the same price point in terms of the CPU.

Jiniix

That should be a decent PSU. Not the best, but surely far from the worst. Are you from Finland by any chance?
Without streaming, an i5+HD6950 can't really play OW above low-medium settings. I think it's going to be hard to make a noticable difference for $350, but I would start with a Ryzen 1700+Mobo+RAM (+SSD if you don't have).

Marethyu

That should be a decent PSU. Not the best, but surely far from the worst. Are you from Finland by any chance?
Without streaming, an i5+HD6950 can't really play OW above low-medium settings. I think it's going to be hard to make a noticable difference for $350, but I would start with a Ryzen 1700+Mobo+RAM (+SSD if you don't have).
Thanks for your answer. Actually i am not from finland (czech rep.). And I play OW on custom (somewhere around medium) on 130fps. Why are amd CPUs better for streaming?

beers

Staff member
Why are amd CPUs better for streaming?
The new Ryzen platform has superior multithread performance compared to other offerings at the same price point.

Video encoding is CPU intensive and is a multithreaded workload.

beers

Staff member
How do u buy all this under 350USD, or even 400
When the 1700 is like $320 by itself, you don't really.

If you live near a microcenter you can pick up a 1600X (6c/12t) and B350 board for around $270-280 + tax, and roll the rest of the budget into a RAM kit