PC vs Mac notebook for college

Mac or PC for college

• Total voters

atvshane

I am going to transfer to the university of miami in florida to major in computer engineering. I am gonna get a new laptop and I'm not sure wether I should go with a windows PC or a mac.

I have a really good desktop computer thats an AMD 64 3200+, 1.5 GB of ram, ATI x1800xl video card, ect... But I wanted a laptop as well to take with me to class and work on as well.

I wanted everyone's input on what you think I should do. The new intel macs seem really nice and I think apple just announced that you can dual boot windows on their intel macs now.

I'm worried about some compatibilty issues regarding the macs. Also, regarding my major, I heard that they don't really teach unix too much anymore at colleges. And wether or not it will benefit me with having a mac.

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!

SAAER45

If your going for computer engineering, Macs are really resctrictive for tweaking and such, you get a lot more versatility out of a PC.

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Apokarteron said:
with a Mac though youre nice and quiet from viruses, crashes etc.
... also lack of software, support, or compatibility with the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

Just messing, Macs are ok. :p

Psychosis

I posted a topic last night about the same thing (check Sony VAIO vs. MacBook Pro) because I am wanting a powerful laptop that I can use for fun and play. I'm battling between Sony VAIO and Mac. I'm worried about the same things as you are concerning Mac's which is why so far I am leaning towards Sony especially since I am used to Windows OS.

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread for my own interest :) Good luck with your decision.

suprasteve

I go to GA Tech and the kids running linux usually have an easier time getting their software to work than those running OSX, at least in my experience (I guess they're savvy to begin with running linux and all, but anyways). If you were ONLY doing java or other multiformat languages, then you'd be okay, but you really ought to get something Windows based for the type of software you'll most likely be using

kyllc

this topic is beat to death, it's a preference thing. If you want a mac get one. pcs are more versitile, easier to expand upon, cheaper, more software options etc. macs are generally less buggy, great for video/image editing etc...

atvshane

The intel macs are now able to dual boot windows, so I hear. So what if I got that mac and then had a dual boot of windows in case I needed to run windows applications on it.

ICANSEEYOU7687

Im kinda confused...

How are you going into computer engineering without knowing which you want to design for?

Or are you familiar with both?

Both sides will require different hardware architectures, programming, etc... If you want to do that for a career, then you must have grown up with one of the two, or be more comfortable with one.

But as someone said it is all preference, its the one that you want to design for. Well whichever you wish to use in your future, or atleast lean most upon, I would suggest going for that.

Dr Studly

banned
computer engeneering? well face it most computers are PCs, so get a PC, alot more "computer engeneering" is done with PCs... so get PC...IMHO

atvshane

Im kinda confused...

How are you going into computer engineering without knowing which you want to design for?

Or are you familiar with both?

Both sides will require different hardware architectures, programming, etc... If you want to do that for a career, then you must have grown up with one of the two, or be more comfortable with one.

But as someone said it is all preference, its the one that you want to design for. Well whichever you wish to use in your future, or atleast lean most upon, I would suggest going for that.

I am basically an expert with windows although alot of servers and what not are more unix based as Mac is. I am not sure if it is a good idea to have a mac for the linux based operating system to learn on as they seem to be alot more realiable and you can write code and change alot more stuff in linux/Unix.

computer engeneering? well face it most computers are PCs, so get a PC, alot more "computer engeneering" is done with PCs... so get PC...IMHO

Yes, most computers are PCs. But when you get into servers and large business networks, I believe they are generall run by Unix based systems.

I right now am leaning more towards a mac because they are really cool, easy to use, super long battery life, and with the intel mac I can throw windows xp on a seperate partition just in case. Although some of those sony vaios are quite attractive. lol, I'm gonna contact someone at the college and ask them their opinion. In the mean time, everyone's input is valued. Thanks.

Vipernitrox

well i didnt took the time to read all the above posts but i would go for the windows. Just because if you want or need something everyone else can help you. If you have a mac your on your own.

LithiumSunset

atvshane said:
I am going to transfer to the university of miami in florida to major in computer engineering. I am gonna get a new laptop and I'm not sure wether I should go with a windows PC or a mac.

I have a really good desktop computer thats an AMD 64 3200+, 1.5 GB of ram, ATI x1800xl video card, ect... But I wanted a laptop as well to take with me to class and work on as well.

I wanted everyone's input on what you think I should do. The new intel macs seem really nice and I think apple just announced that you can dual boot windows on their intel macs now.

I'm worried about some compatibilty issues regarding the macs. Also, regarding my major, I heard that they don't really teach unix too much anymore at colleges. And wether or not it will benefit me with having a mac.

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!

I work for a converged internet services company and the vast majority of our customers are college students. I can tell you first hand that many of them are making the move to MAC machines for many different reasons. I have an iMac (20 inch) sitting here and I absolutely love it. It has the Intel dual core and it pretty much runs most of the programs I can run in windows including some of my online games.

Now Apple is making it so you can run both OS X and Windows on an Intel based machine so, I would say, the MAC is an excellent choice.

http://www.apple.com/switch/reasons/reason09.html

http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6058832.html