'PC' vs. 'Server' and RAID

WeApOn

This is more of a clarification/confirmation thread than anything. A company which I do IT work for has an old 'Server', which I believe is built from desktop parts(I didn't build it). The only thing that makes me call it a server is that is had a RAID-1 mirror from what I can see, and it is the main data center for all the users on it's network. It's also hosting the user accounts and running a program(and a database along with that program I believe) that they all connect to. It's not running a server OS, it has a single power supply, but based on it's uses, I would classify it as a server.

Parts of this 'server' are beginning to fail, and the company has asked me to replace it. My first thought is that they don't need a 'server' that would be built from Dell, HP, etc.. As they are a very small company, with maybe 8 employees.

My initial plan is to build a PC with two hard drives, and either a motherboard with RAID capabilities or a RAID card attachment(Not sure of the pros/cons of this, any advice is appreciated).

I've never built a server, but I've built plenty of desktop PCs. I'd assume most places you build a server are only offering the latest tech, which IMO they don't need.

Bottom Line:
Does this plan make sense? Build them a 'PC' with a RAID-1 stripe over two drives, give them any basic OS -- perhaps XP or whatever is available for licensing currently. Obviously the program's compatibility would be important to note.

First time building a 'server', so wanted to bang this idea off a few more experienced people here. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Last edited:

nwcafesurfer

Sounds like you’re on the right track!

Modern SATA hard drives should provide more than adequate bandwidth for 8 users. I don’t believe you would require “hardware raid” for your application. A more common onboard raid solution should be adequate. As for the rest of the hardware, stick to name brands and buy a good power supply (like an Antec “EarthWatts”:good: or Enermax unit). Also, carefully consider the thermal output of your components! Good luck with your build.