pc will boot with 1 gig of ram but wont boot with 2 gig

statue12

i wanted to upgrade my packard bell pc meaning i had to buy a new motherboard, cpu,ram, graphics, basically everything so i put it all togther. I put 1 gig (2x512mb) of ram in it and it boots up fine, when i add 2(4x512mb) gig it wont boot and and just beeps,the ram isnt faulty because itll work in my old pc but it just wont boot. ive tried swaping the ram about booting with 1 stick of ram in but it just wont boot with 2 gig of ram in.
The motherboard i got is kn2 ECS extreme agp version, any ideas.
:) :)

Chiefs27

The beeps indicate that something is wrong. When your computer starts up it runs a check called a POST test (power on self-test). It basically checks to see if everything is in order. You have to count the number and length of the beeps to see what the problem is. But without doing that, my guess would be that its the wrong type of RAM for your motherboard since you can't just slap in any old stick that you want. There are only certain types of RAM that it will accept. So just because it works in your old computer doesn't mean that it'll work in the new one. Your best bet would be not to use the RAM from the old computer, but instead for an added boost get the same type of RAM you already have.

statue12

Thanks for such a quike reply, all the ram i am using is all the same pc 3200 kingston ram, when i put 2 sticks of 512mb ram in itll work, but when i put 4 sticks in itll continously beep, beeeeep beeeeep beeeeep all the ram is exactly the same it isnt mixed ram.

Chiefs27

Quick thought on that, does it show a screen at all when it does that? And if it does, does it say any sort of error like Error 163 - Time and Date not set (it might not say that one directly, but its just an example) because if it does, that'll direct you on how to fix it since each error has a specific number assigned to it. But if that doesnt happen, you should hook me up with a link to a site with your motherboard on it, i cant find it myself right now.

krimson_king

i dont know the details of your motherboard, but you may be exceeding the amount of ram you can have...although i havent ever heard that to be related to your symptom. do you have the manual on your motherboard? chances are, if its max says 2gb, then usually that number is associated with slower RAM, for example, pc2700. it may however only support 1gb at pc3200

Chiefs27

Thats what i was thinking too, thats why i asked for a link of some sort to his motherboards specs.

statue12

Thanks for replying, i thought i would update the bios like the 1st reply said so i went on there site made sure i downloaded the right bios used ez flash untility to flash the bios and now the pc wont post and theres a beep and 2 funny beeps after that, any ideas. ive tried using the flash chip that came with the pc to flash the bios to its original state but nothing happens and ive alos tried clearing the cmos but nothing happens.
i have a ecs kn2 extreme motherbaord.
Thanks Pete:)

Last edited:

statue12

it wont boot with 1 stick or 2 just keeps beeping im thinking perhaps the bios have got corrupted even though it said the bios was the right one new motherboard inline it sounds like to me any one help.

Thnaks:)