PC won’t display on TV after GPU driver update

KenC

My wife bought a new computer which we hooked up to our TV which she would use as the computer monitor. The computer displayed on the TV just as it should, until I updated the video card driver to an NVIDIA driver. Now the computer will no longer show up on the TV, though it will still show up when connected to a computer monitor. If I hook the HDMI cord back up to the TV and restart the computer, I DO get the initial booting screen showing the motherboard logo. But once it boots into windows, the TV shows the generic “no signal” screen.
unfortunately, the graphics card that came with the computer has only one HDMI port, so I cannot have it hooked to both the TV and monitor at the same time. If I could, I could mess around with the display settings and try to get it to recognize the TV as a second display. But as it is, I have to have the HDMI hooked into the monitor to change any settings, then unhook the HDMI and plug it back into the TV which is a real pain.

Any advice or ideas as to a fix would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing you really need to do is make sure that the TV is set for the specific hdmi input. For example, if the tv has 3 hdmi inputs you'll see there are 3 hdmi possibilities for the tv input section.

KenC

It’s on the correct HDMI input. As I said, when the computer boots I get the motherboard logo and boot info. But once windows comes up and the GPU driver loads it comes up “no signal”.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The computer displayed on the TV just as it should, until I updated the video card driver to an NVIDIA driver.
What video card is actually in the computer? Almost sounds like the wrong driver was installed.

KenC

It’s an NVIDIA GTX 970, but manufactured by Zotec. I’ve never heard of an NVIDIA GTX card NOT being able to use an NVIDIA driver, but I’m going to check Zotec out just in case.