Pc Wont Boot Up/HELP!

oinkypig

Ok, so the other day i was starting my pc up, and it gave me an error "A disk error occurred." I spent all day fixing it, running a bunch of crap on it. (recovery mode, seatools hdd test, ect.) it happened to be a currupt boot.ini file. so i rebuilt the file, but i had made 3 other boot.ini files on accident. i edited the file cutting out the other 2 window boots and I shut my pc down. Next day came around, started up my pc and this time i dont even get an error. I am in an everlasting loop of my computer restarting. I cant even get the windows screen. after the ASUS COMP. screen pops up everything turns black and it reboots. Ive run CHDSK a bunch of times, fixboot, seatools, and tried rebuilding the boot.ini file. i have had NO luck whatsoever with it so now I am coming to the trusty folks here.
So heres my problem
1. A disk error
2. rebuilt boot.ini (pc started up fine)
3. edited & deleted other boots from boot.ini file
4. shut down pc
5. continuous rebooting loop
6. HELP
Please help me out with this one. THX FOR REPLIES!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Did it come with a restore disk? sounds to me like that would be your only option if you cant even start up in safe mode

oinkypig

no no, i have a window xp restore disk. if what i posted earlier says i used chkdsk and all which pertains to the recovery mode in the windows XP sp2 CD install cd. right now im running chdsk /r on it, right now im like 2 hours into it and its only at 61%. big HDD

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Ok, if that dont work then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall windows. But i hope you wont have to do that and loose everything on the drive.

oinkypig

already ran all the chkdsk's, i even got seatools+(seagates hdd test app) and i ran it. it took about 3 hours wto finish and it said i had no errors or anything. i think that some of my boot files are messed up. isnt there a way to reinsatll windows w/o erasing my data?

oinkypig

ok ive made some progress. i did a non destructive reinstallation of windows xp and now when my pc can get onto the windows splash screen, but then a BSOD apperas for a spit second and my pc reboots. i cant boot into safe mode(it restarts)
the numbers on the blue screen start out with 0x0000007B

Last edited:

oinkypig

ive got a seagate Barracuda 300gb ATA IDE. ive gotten it to show the windows splash screen, which is some improvement, so i am running chkdsk /r on it right now, and a bunch of other recovery tools. trying to get this 2 work
ps the setup in my sig is my primary pc, im talking about my other pc.