pc wont overclock anymore need help

CopenGrizz01

ever since i installed my 5770 i cant overclock anymore.
when i go into bios and overclock and everything then save it and exit my computer shuts off, and when i try to turn it back on it powers up but dont display anything on screen. only way to fix this is to take gpu out then put it back in and it works but i cant overclock my cpu this happens everytime. but it used to work i had my q6600 at 3.2ghz for awhile.

CardboardSword

It's a Sparkle? Yeah the power supply is your problem. You're lucky you're running it all at stock clocks, let alone overclocked. I'd invest in a more reliable PSU before it takes everything out with it.

armysgt1

I have an ultra 650 watt and its perfect for my setup. My 3.1 is OC'ed to 3.4 on stock voltage and cooler. Havent tried higher yet until I get an aftermarket cooler. It was like 60 bucks at compusa.

linkin

VIP Member

CardboardSword

Yeah, the problem with PSU's is you really do get what you pay for, some other components really don't matter so much, but cheaper brands use really low quality parts which tend to fail when you run them at full spec. Yes, a cheap one may work fine for you, but it doesn't mean it's not about to blow at any moment under load though either. I'm not willing to play such russian roulette with my hard-earned PC components, simply because a few bucks saved now could wind up being exponentially more expensive down the line.

As for the one you listed, it seems relatively solid. XFX is pretty well respected in the GPU market for its fantastic warranty, so I can only assume their PSUs would be at least respectable quality, the reviews are quite postive as well, but should be taken with a grain of salt. Doesn't hurt that its on sale either! I think it's a safe bet, I can't speak for everybody though.

linkin

VIP Member
The 650w will be fine, will leave you a little more headroom for upgrades. If you can get it for the same price as the 550w then it's a good deal.