PC won't power on - 1st build

Muddy

hi,
just joined the forum. hoping someone can help me. i see alot of threads with PCs that have trouble powering up. but mine doesn't at all. i just put it together last nite. here are the specs:

amd 64 3000 cpu
asus k8n-e deluxe mobo
zalman cnps 7000-cu cpu fan
160gb WD hdd
nec dvd-rw drive
256mb pc2700 ram (will be upgrading soon)

i followed the mobo manual as closely as i could, but there was a discrepancy with the power LED, which prolly doesnt have to do with the PC powering up. when i push the power button, the Stand-by LED on the mobo turns on, but nothing else does. sometimes the fan will jerk a little, but no rotation. also sometimes the power LED will flicker for a split second. there is no beeping. i'm assuming it's the psu that came with my Rosewill case, but i wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas. it came with a 450w psu, but it's suspect since the whole deal was pretty cheap. could it be the lack of ram? or could it be that my ram is bad?

appreciate any help.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Lack of ram would have NOTHING to do with it not powering up. Last time I ran into a problem like that something was shorted out. Check around for that first, and make sure everything's seated right.

Muddy

The_Other_One said:
Lack of ram would have NOTHING to do with it not powering up. Last time I ran into a problem like that something was shorted out. Check around for that first, and make sure everything's seated right.
how can i tell if anything is shorted out?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The board shouldn't be touching the case at all. Some cases to have built in stand offs, but most have interchangable ones so make sure it's not grounded to the case... Um, then check that wires are fine, thing's pierced or anything.

Muddy

thanks for all the suggestions. it's definitely not a psu failure issue(might need more juice though). i started pulling cards from the mobo and the comp started powering up. it definitely has a conflict with my sound card, maybe because it already has audio on the mobo itself. now i left in the video card and hooked up 2 hdds and 1 dvd-rw. the comp powers up but the video does not work. at one point, it wouldnt power up if the vid card was inserted. then after awhile it did power up with the vid card inserted but still no video. i can hear the hdds spinning and the dvd-rom is on but i'm not hearing any beeps on start up. the video is not working so i can't tell if anything's happening or not.
can the board be fried even if the hdd and fans are spinning?

also the mobo manual says that i can only use 1.5v vid cards in the agp slot and not a 3.3v card. what is the standard voltage on vid cards? i have an old evga and i cant find any information about voltage on it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For the record, what PSU do you have? Did you connect the ATX12? The PSU is turned on? The jumpers for the power button connected correctly? :)

Geoff

VIP Member
He said that when he removed the audio card it powered up fine, so its obviously that, i dont know why it would cause a problem though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
its obviously that
Hehe hence the English language has the words "surprise" and "anomaly" ;) And computer techies have "wtf thats not supposed to happen"