PCI express x16 graphics card suggestions please

staf

hey folks

i am interested in playing some video games as my new hobby

ive been using computers for years now but never even thought about playing video games

i have an old computer and i do understand the limitations , and i also understand that video cards are expensive and that you get what you pay for,

here is my computer:

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

i have the desktop version, so i think i need a card that is low-profile.

so i would like to play some games now and again for fun, i dont mind if they are 5 or even 10 years old, but i would also like a good deal, so i guess you could call me a *light* gamer, and i would also like to have a HDMI output for my new Full HD monitor that im going to buy.

my top price would be about $120, so is it even worth buying a card for this amount? should i just go to Ebay and buy the cheapest card with a HDMI or DVI output and play some old games? or will spending about $120
make a difference?

it seems they need to be PCI express x16 cards, i have heard you could get an adapter and use other PCI connections? , i am not sure.

actually i do have one computer game, and its Oblivion, so a card that can play that, would be good

so could i please have some suggestions on the best card for the price?

any help would be much appreciated, this is a learning curve for me and its alot of fun.!

beers

Staff member
In all honesty that computer needs a lot of help. I wouldn't throw any money at it unless you can find like $5 ebay cpu and ram upgrades.

Laquer Head

Not worth doing any upgrades to a pre-built DELL. Especially an old one.

Save money and buy a real desktop-- sorry but I hate seeing people waste money.

lincsman

Umm, yeah I have a computer like that, that was given to me for free. To put it kindly, gaming is very demanding. That might play unreal tournament 2003. Honestly if you bought a desktop that is a Windows 7 desktop for $120, that would be a start. There aren't any video cards on the market that would be suitable for that computer. If you are on a budget of that much money, and are just getting into casual gaming, best off to buy a playstation 3 or xbox 360.