PCI ports

i have looked on my motherboard and have seen 2 long brown pci ports and the bottom of the board, are these ones for Graphics cards?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this an older motherboard? If so, those would be called ISA ports.

agp_pci_isa.jpg

The bottom port is the ISA port, does it look like that?

spottydog

Brown would normally indicate AGP sockets.
It may be an SLI AGP setup?
Just a guess without a motherboard model number.

linkin

VIP Member
no such thing as SLI. AGP is too old. It is most likely a server/workstation board, which had need for many monitors. hence 2 AGP slots for graphics cards for 2 monitors per card.

Cams

I'm with Johnb35 on this one. He said long brown PCI slots, but an AGP slot is shorter than a PCI slot so I dont believe that is it. Looks like two ISA ports is more likely.

StrangleHold

Staff member
A AGP and PCI slots are pretty close to the same size. The AGP is just set further back on the board. I would say he is talking about ISA slots. All of them were either black or brown.

linkin

VIP Member
It could also be an AGP Pro slot. they used those for computers that did 3d modelling and stuff, it was longer than your regular AGP slot.

Or yeah it could be an ISA slot.

Official extensions

AGP Pro

It is an official extension for cards that required more electrical power. It is a longer slot with additional pins for that purpose. AGP Pro cards were usually workstation-class cards used to accelerate professional computer-aided design applications employed in the fields of architecture, machining, engineering, simulations, and similar fields.

Thanks wikipedia :good:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its a video card port. PCI bandwidth was being eat up because it was sharied. AGP replaced PCI for your video card. Basically replaced by PCIe over the last couple of years.

Paul17041993

could you post a picture or post the brand and model of your motherboard your talking about so i can have a look:D
if they (the brown "PCI" slots)are shorter than any of your other AGP or PCI slots on the mobo then they are probbably AMR slots (Audio Modem Riser)

EDIT
just made mesurements on my old p3 board:
PCI - 80mm
AGP - 68mm
AMR - 33mm

Last edited: